High school roundup: West Mifflin boys snap losing streak
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin got back on track heading into the Class AAA playoffs with a 47-36 nonsection win at Serra Catholic. Cye Murphy and Ryan Maha each scored 11 points for West Mifflin (17-5) in helping the Titans snap a two-game losing streak. George Prota scored 18 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for reeling Serra (13-8), which has lost six of its past seven and eight of 12 after starting the season 9-0.
McKeesport 58, Bethel Park 51 — Demonje Walker made four 3-pointers and finished with 14 points for the Tigers (13-7) in their nonsection win.
Norwin 63, Greensburg Salem 55 — Matt Stewart scored 20 points and Curtis Perz 14 as Norwin (13-9) used a second-half rally to earn the nonsection win. Norwin outscored Greensburg Salem, 34-24, in the second half.
South Park 57, Elizabeth Forward 53 — South Park outscored Elizabeth Forward, 21-9, in the second quarter then held on for the nonsection win. Ryan Smider scored 26 for South Park (12-9), while JaQuan Davidson led EF (12-10) with 16, Austin Matta 14 and Matt Bernadowski 10.
Serra Catholic 57, Fort Cherry 44 — Serra rolled past host Fort Cherry to clinch veteran coach Bill Cleary's 16th 20-win season. Leslie Hoye scored 14 and Megan Sieg 12 as Serra (20-2) won its seventh consecutive game.
Thomas Jefferson 69, Monessen 44 — Thomas Jefferson (9-13) outscored Monessen, 22-8, in the first quarter and ended the season with a nonsection home win. Alexis Yanief scored 27, Jessie Hinkle 16 and Paige Risley 15 for TJ.
Frazier 42, Yough 31 — Natalie Peebles scored 13, but Yough (7-15) dropped a nonsection game to Frazier.
Serra Catholic 10, South Fayette 0 — Roman Kraemer scored three goals and collected four points, Nicholas Vacsulka tallied a pair of goals and three assists and Jonathan Henschel added two goals and two assists as Serra rolled past South Fayette. Serra put 58 shots on South Fayette goalie Nicolas Blocher. The win moved the Eagles (11-8-0) into a first-place tie with Thomas Jefferson (11-8-0) in Section 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge Upper St. Clair
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Hot-shooting Charleroi blitzes Waynesburg
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Valley Independent roundup: Elizabeth Forward edges Ringgold in Section 4-AAA clash
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- Daily News roundup: Plum deals McKeesport girls first loss
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- GCC girls expect more after reaching WPIAL semifinals last year