District basketball playoff capsules
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Feb. 22, 2013, 1:31 a.m.
WPIAL Class AAA: Quarterfinals
• Kittanning (20-4) vs. No. 6 Beaver (18-3)
8 p.m. Friday at North Allegheny
Winner plays: No. 1 Chartiers Valley (20-3)/No. 9 South Fayette (14-9) winner Tuesday (time, site to be determined).
Layups: Unseeded at the onset, Kittanning suddenly is seeking a rarity — three straight wins in the WPIAL postseason. Back-to-back wins in the playoffs was something the Wildcats hadn't done since 1925. But senior Sterling Henry scored 30 points as the team upset No. 5 Central Valley, 67-62, on Tuesday, to accomplish the feat. Kittanning won three playoff games in 1925 before losing to Wilkinsburg in the semifinals. The Wildcats also played Beaver in the playoffs since 1977. ... Beaver averages 65.7 points per game, Kittanning 65.1. ... Fast-paced Beaver is led by 6-foot-5 senior center Aaron Barlow, who, in addition to being a solid rebounder and shot blocker, averages 21.3 points per game. The Bobcats own a 59-55 win over top-seeded Chartiers Valley and split a pair of games with Section 2-AAA rival Central Valley.
WPIAL Class AA: Quarterfinals
• Apollo-Ridge (17-7) vs. No. 4 Jeannette (18-4)
1 p.m. Saturday at Plum
Winner plays: No. 1 Beaver Falls (20-3)/Brentwood (14-9) winner Wednesday (time, site to be determined).
Layups: Apollo-Ridge upset No. 5 Sto-Rox, 56-52, on Wednesday in first-round play. Lucas Burrell led the effort with 18 points. This will be the Vikings' first quarterfinal appearance since 1991, when they lost to Serra Catholic. A victory would earn A-R its first PIAA playoff berth since 1988; a loss would force the Vikings to pull for Jeannette in the next round. All five Vikings starters average around 10-11 points per game. Apollo-Ridge has started its first two playoff games with big, opening-quarter surges. … Jeannette is a playoff regular, making the WPIAL tournament each of the past 12 seasons and 40 times overall. The Jayhawks lost their last two regular-season games but got back on the winning track Wednesday with a 71-44 rout of Aliquippa. Julian Batts had 22 points for Jeannette, while Jordan Edmunds added 18. Duke Brown leads the Jayhawks in scoring with 19.4 points per game.
District 9 Class AA: Semifinals
• No. 5 Redbank Valley (14-9) vs. No. 1 Kane (20-5)
7 p.m. Friday at Clarion University
Winner plays: No. 3 Cranberry (15-8)/No. 7 Brookville (11-12) winner at 6 p.m. March 2 at Clarion University
Layups: Redbank Valley completed a fourth-quarter comeback in its 57-54 win over No. 4 Moniteau in the quarterfinal Tuesday. Freshman Brooke Hinderliter fueled the offense with a 32-point effort, and Emma Kennemuth added 13. Redbank Valley remains in the running for its first finals appearance since 2004 and its first district title since 1998. ... Kane cruised past Curwensville, 46-32, in the quarterfinals Wednesday. The Lady Wolves have not lost to a Class AA team this season. They're led in scoring by Kaila Jamerson, a 6-foot senior who averages more than 13 points per game. Kane reached the Class A semifinals a season ago and advanced to the Class AA semifinals in 2010.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- ACC announces Pitt’s opponents for next 2 seasons; Powell signs with Dukes
- Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season
- Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett wants candidate Wolf to release tax records
- Blue Jackets notebook: Columbus wants another crack at playing with lead
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game