Lady Jays ready for PIAA playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette girls head coach LuAnn Mills gets the most out of the Jeannette girls basketball team because she pushes them hard, teaches them well and expects them to perform regardless of the situation.
That attitude apparently extends to the bowling alley, as well.
Mills' bunch were enjoying an end-of-WPIAL-season bowling party last Sunday, but Mills wasn't about to let them get off too easily. Instead of four steps and a toss of the ball down the lane, Mills made the girls earn it.
“I make them turn around, throw with their eyes closed or throw it backwards,” said Mills, through a playful laugh. “I never make it easy on them.”
Mills likes a loose team that enjoys playing together and the bowling games serve as a good example of how she builds a fun, family atmosphere with the players.
Mills hopes the girls' attitude remains positive as they approach a tough first-round, PIAA Class-AA playoff tilt with Section 10 finalist General McLane.
GM lost to North East in the Section 10 WPIAL championship game, and despite a 22-3 record, remain largely a mystery to Mills and the Jeannette staff.
“We don't know much about them,” said Mills. “I will be learning this week, though and finding out who their top scorers are so we can put our best defenders on them.”
The Jayhawks (17-7) have a secret of their own who, while well known throughout the WPIAL, will be sight-unseen when she arrives in Edinboro for Friday night's 6 p.m. tip-off at Edinboro University.
That weapon — the WPIAL's leading scorer the past two seasons and Jeannette's all-time leading scorer — Ciara Gregory.
“Yeah, we have Ciara and they probably do not know too much about her,” said Mills. “Hopefully she can do what she does and we can move on in the playoffs.”
Moving on for Jeannette would mean a game Tuesday night with the winner of the game between the WPIAL Class-AA champion, Bishop Canevin and Westmont-Hilltop out of Section 6.
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Moon names new football coach
- Playoff tickets punched for some local hoop teams
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem tops Mt. Lebanon
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball team defeats Southmoreland, 67-30
- East Allegheny girls getting used to winning with underclassmen
- Ligonier Valley’s 3-sports standout nearing 1,000 career points
- Versatile sophomore Jonczak has Highlands in playoff hunt after 3-16 season
- Serra Catholic’s Sieg learning to lead in senior season
- Tipton helps lift Apollo-Ridge over Section 2-AA foe Shady Side Academy
- Neither coach happy after Monessen beats Avella by 90 points
- First quarter nightmare for Monessen