High school boys basketball roundup: WPIAL champ Montour rolls into PIAA quarterfinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Montour (23-4) continued its quest for a third consecutive trip to the PIAA finals with 48-38 victory over Girard in a Class AAA boys second-round game at Slippery Rock University's Morrow Field House on Tuesday night.
Spartans senior guard Robert Julian scored a career-high 26 points, including four 3-pointers in the second quarter, after a closely-contested first quarter.
“He really, really shot the ball well,” Montour coach Adam Kaufman said. “I thought our guys did a good job continuing to find him, especially when he was on that hot streak.”
Julian finished with seven 3-pointers and had 25 of his team's first 33 points.
The Spartans defense held Joe Dunn, one of Girard's leading scorers, without a field goal in the first half.
Montour will play District 10 champion General McLane in the quarterfinals Friday at a site and time to be determined.
Chartiers Valley 65, Johnstown 38 — Michael Boulos scored 19 points, Matty McConnell had 18 and Spencer Casson had 13 for the Colts (24-2), whose lead reached 30 points in the third quarter against District 6 champion Johnstown (16-8) in the PIAA Class AAA second round at Hempfield. The Colts advance to the quarterfinals for the first time since 2010, when they were runners-up. They'll face District 12's fourth-place team, Archbishop Carroll (21-6).
General McLane 69, Beaver 54 — Led by Jaymon Mason's 33 points, District 10 champ General McLane earned a PIAA Class AAA second-round victory, ending Beaver's season. Corey Nesmith had 17 points for Beaver (20-5).
Lincoln Park 51, Ridgway 34 — Lincoln Park overcame a poor first half in which the Leopards scored only 17 points before rallying in the second half to outscore Ridgway, 34-19, in the second half to come away with a PIAA Class A second-round win at Clarion.
“They came out and played well and we didn't,” Lincoln Park coach Mark Javens said. “We had 15 turnovers. I don't know if the ball had butter on it or what. We didn't match their intensity early on.”
Maverick Rowan scored 13 of his game-high 20 points in the second half. Lincoln Park will play Bishop Carroll Friday.
Smethport 37, Clairton 35 — At Clarion, Zach Smith had 19 points and 19 rebounds and Clay Schuler scored 12 to lead Smethport (24-3) to a PIAA Class A second-round win. Clairton had a chance to win, but Bryon Clifford's 3-pointer at the buzzer rolled off the rim. Terrish Webb scored 13 for the Bears (17-8), who were 1 of 9 from the free-throw line.
“That was probably the worst officiated game that I have ever been a part of,” Clairton coach Matt Geletko said. “Anybody who was here and saw this game would agree. We kind of knew coming in here that these guys never saw a team like us before.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Daily News high school roundup: Serra Catholic girls earn nonsection win
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 3 Norwin girls take down No. 1 North Allegheny
- High school roundup: No. 2 CW North Catholic cruises past No. 4 Riverview
- Strong 2nd half propels Elizabeth Forward girls basketball past feisty Brownsville, 60-44
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season
- GCC girls expect more after reaching WPIAL semifinals last year
- Cal turns showdown into 63-36 blowout
- Chartiers Valley boys basketball competes, bonds in Arizona
- Fox Chapel’s Urso adjusts quickly between football, basketball
- High school basketball rankings through Dec. 12