Vincentian girls basketball team one win away from PIAA finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Senior Abbey Bartoszewicz and Vincentian Academy are one step closer to an elusive Class A state championship after beating Kennedy Catholic, 68-51, in the PIAA quarterfinals.
It is third time in four seasons the Lady Royals are one win away from reaching the state championship game.
“I want to win so much,” Bartoszewicz said. “In my years of experience, we've never gone past the semifinals.”
The Royals jumped out to an early 33-13 lead despite Kennedy Catholic's plan to stifle Brenna Wise, who is Vincentian's leading scorer with more than 22 points per game.
“They had two or three players on me, but we're not just a one-man team,” Wise said. “Our coach really prepared us well, and we executed what he wanted us to.”
The Golden Eagles, led by Rachel Burns and Alex Ricketts — who each scored 17 points — rattled off a 10-0 run to end the second period and cut the Royals' lead to 10 points.
“They're a good, well-coached team that wouldn't give up,” Royals coach Ron Moncrief said. “They made their runs, and we just had to make sure we made our runs little bit longer.”
As the Golden Eagles found their scoring touch before halftime, they also found a way to briefly stymie the Royals' offense.
“I have to give props to them, because we weren't ready for that press,” Bartoszewicz said. “We panicked a little bit, but I told my team we were going to take the game over.”
The Golden Eagles' press consequently opened up Wise to more rebounding and scoring opportunities in the paint.
“We knew we had to win the rebounding war, and I think we did,” Wise said.
Wise led all players with 20 points and 18 rebounds. Bartoszewicz and Maia Joiner also reached double-digit scoring for Vincentian with 10 points each.
Vincentian played Bishop Guilfoyle in the PIAA Class A semifinals Tuesday, March 19, a semifinals rematch from three years ago. The Royals lost that game, 58-45.
“We played them my freshman year, and I really want to get them back,” Bartoszewicz said.
Results were not available as of press time.
Shawn Annarelli is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt students clean up Mon Valley neighborhoods for annual service day
- North Versailles Township commissioner opposes closing Green Valley Primary School
- ReClaim McKeesport ambassadors transform vacant lot
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Ebola watch lists to shrink
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Cookies for Our Troops marches on
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap