Boyce to play in Roundball Classic
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The 2013 Roundball Classic will be Saturday, April 20, at Geneva College and the annual all-star game will feature the top seniors from the WPIAL, as well as stars from the City League and Districts 6, 9 and 10.
Gateway point guard D.J. Boyce will be on the Quad-A team, and he continues a strong tradition of recent Gators players to be included in the game.
Mike Kromka played in 2010, while Devon Cottrell suited up for the 2011 contest. Last year, Barnett Harris and Tyler Scott represented Gateway.
Boyce, who piled up points and assists and was a top defender for the Gators, was a three-year starter who helped Gateway capture back-to-back WPIAL titles in 2011 and 2012.
A varsity reserve in 2010, Boyce was a part of more than 80 Gateway victories the past four seasons.
The Gators just wrapped up a 16-7 season that included a 1-1 mark in the WPIAL playoffs and a trip to states. Gateway saw its season come to an end on March 9 with a 68-48 loss to New Castle in the first round of the PIAA tournament.
The Red Hurricanes played Lower Merion on Tuesday in the state semifinals, and the game was to be played past the deadline for this week's edition.
New Castle seniors Shawn Anderson, Antonio Rudolph and Brandon Domenick also were selected for the Quad-A team, as well as Seneca Valley's Easton Bazzoli, Upper St. Clair's Jordan Grabowski, Bethel Park's Wyatt Hagerty, North Allegheny's Sean Hennigan, Peters Township's Gabe Pritz, Mt. Lebanon's Tyler Roth, Penn-Trafford's Corey Stanford, Norwin's Matt Stewart, Shaler's Geno Thorpe, Pittsburgh Central Catholic's David Urso and Pine-Richland's Tim Williams.
The Quad-A stars will play a group of Class AAA stars at 8 p.m.
The first game of the boys doubleheader will be at 6 p.m.
The non-WPIAL players will be on the Class A team.
There also will be two girls all-star games on April 20, and those rosters were expected to be released this week.
They were not yet released as of Tuesday's deadline.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West