New Latrobe girls basketball coach brings record of success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LuAnn Mills spent the past three girls basketball seasons keeping Jeannette a strong program in Class AA.
Now, Mills wants to turn Latrobe into a strong program.
Mills, who compiled a 45-27 record at Jeannette, was hired by the Greater Latrobe School Board to replace Greg Fenton, who resigned after the season.
Jeannette won three consecutive section titles, edging rival Greensburg Central Catholic each season and reached the WPIAL finals in 2011 and semifinals in 2013.
The Jayhawks were PIAA participants those seasons.
She takes over a program that finished 9-14 and lost its final six games including a Class AAAA playoff game to Baldwin.
“Jeannette was a great place for me to start my coaching career,” Mills said. “They were wonderful, but it's time for me to take on a new challenge.
“It's going to be a challenge for me making a jump in two classifications. I'm pretty excited to get started.”
Mills will be busy this summer learning about the players at Latrobe.
She watched her assistant coach, Brittany Sedlock, coach the squad last week in the Indiana League, and she was impressed with the players.
She started coaching the team this week.
“I don't even know the players' names yet,” Mills said. “I like what I see. These girls don't quit and are starting to come together. I hope to coach the same way I did at Jeannette.
“The girls seem to be excited. They've been working hard. I see a lot of good basketball players here.”
Latrobe athletic director Mark Mears said Mills was one of three finalists.
“LuAnn's veteran leadership and past success coupled with her energy and enthusiasm made her a perfect choice to lead our program,” Mears said.
“We believe we have hired a head coach that will be able to step in and lead our girls to a championship level.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fox Chapel grad Papich makes jump into coaching
- Burrell girls work new faces into solid basketball nucleus
- Area basketball coaches start preparing teams
- Burrell boys basketball team moves to Class AAA, eager to compete
- With starters back, Geibel boys basketball team expects big improvement
- Ford City, Kittanning winter teams look forward to ‘last ride’ before school merger
- Apollo-Ridge basketball wants fast pace this season
- Apollo-Ridge girls aim to repeat strong start, avoid lapses this season
- Gorman: Coaching search starts at Blackhawk
- Belle Vernon Area’s Slagus signs with Bucknell
- Geibel girls basketball primed to continue upward trend