Former Midland basketball star Simmie Hill dies
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Midland's Simmie Hill, considered among the best basketball talents to come from Western Pennsylvania, died Sunday. He was 66.
The 6-foot-7 forward, who starred alongside Norm Van Lier on Midland High School's championship teams of the 1960s, became a college All-American at West Texas State and played professionally in the ABA. In 1965, during Hill's senior year of high school, Midland won WPIAL and PIAA titles with one of the most talented lineups in state history.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL finalists feature skilled scorers, playmakers on perimeter
- Sophomore stars carry Beaver Falls to 3rd finals appearance in 4 seasons
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon boys oust Hempfield
- Gorman: Constantino clutch for NA
- Monessen-Jeannette: Who gets the gold?
- Late-blooming Penn Hills girls restoring WPIAL championship glory
- Big start carries Cal into state playoffs
- Trib Cup: South Park girls look ahead to PIAA tournament
- Fueled by comeback victories, Class A finalists Jeannette, Monessen set for showdown
- Nine Leps still alive in WPIAL championships
- Highlands can’t recover from turnovers in playoff loss to South Fayette