Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fox Chapel’s Urso adjusts quickly between football, basketball
- Junior forward Beale scores 30 points as Freeport wins 4th straight
- Plum grad Cressler makes coaching debut
- Chartiers Valley boys basketball competes, bonds in Arizona
- Injuries won’t dash South Fayette girls basketball’s hopes
- Sewickley Academy boys basketball off to fast start
- Quaker Valley girls basketball poised to win now
- Franklin Regional boys weather tough losses
- Ringgold girls escape with 41-35 win over Brownsville
- Harris develops into team leader for Gateway boys
- Plum boys win section opener, girls fall to Fox Chapel