Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Same school, new team for Elizabeth Forward boys basketball coach Kosanovich
- Elizabeth Forward girls basketball team has new coach, same winning attitude
- Apollo-Ridge girls aim to repeat strong start, avoid lapses this season
- Freeport boys focused on playing together to improve on 8-12 mark
- Ford City girls basketball aims to close program on top
- Freeport girls to rely on depth in drop to Class AA
- East Allegheny boys basketball team ready for fresh start in Class AA
- Deer Lakes boys move into tough Class AAA section
- New Foxes girls coach O’Shea inherits talented team
- Athletic McKeesport boys basketball team features new coach, up-tempo style
- Deer Lakes girls basketball set for AAA competition