Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Franklin Regional boys basketball enters the season battle-tested
- WPIAL Class AAA boys basketball preview: Experienced lineup has Mars among title contenders
- Crop of young players bodes well for Springdale boys basketball team
- Woodland Hills’ plan starts to come together
- Springdale girls seeking fresh start after 0-19 year
- Connellsville girls ready to compete for playoffs spot
- WPIAL Class AAA girls basketball preview: South Fayette using title-game defeat as motivation
- Woodland Hills girls basketball team emphasizing attention to detail
- Division-I prospect Kalin leads up-tempo Pine-Richland girls
- Belle Vernon boys pushing for playoffs
- Franklin Regional girls respond quickly to new coach