Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five taken to hospitals after school bus-SUV crash in Washington Township
- Federal tax-fraud investigation appears to be closing in on North Hills businessman
- Hempfield faculty given active shooter training
- McKeesport juvenile hit by school bus on Eden Park Boulevard
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Pitt’s Bisnowaty ‘ready to go’ but may not start vs. Youngstown State
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Alcosan rents banner plane in attempt to win contest with Cleveland
- Youngwood pool ends 2015 season in the black