Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ford City boys basketball coach brings winning personality for final season
- Ford City girls basketball aims to close program on top
- East Allegheny girls basketball team embraces new outlook
- Fox Chapel boys basketball team will rely on rotation for scoring
- New Foxes girls coach O’Shea inherits talented team
- Fox Chapel grad Papich makes jump into coaching
- East Allegheny boys basketball team ready for fresh start in Class AA
- Athletic McKeesport boys basketball team features new coach, up-tempo style
- Apollo-Ridge basketball wants fast pace this season
- Burrell boys basketball team moves to Class AAA, eager to compete
- Cheswick Christian girls have high expectations