Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Hot-shooting Charleroi blitzes Waynesburg
- Valley Independent roundup: Elizabeth Forward edges Ringgold in Section 4-AAA clash
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge USC
- Daily News roundup: Plum deals McKeesport girls first loss
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- GCC girls expect more after reaching WPIAL semifinals last year
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season