Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: WPIAL coaches reach milestone victories
- Falcons’ Noah puts the ‘Brown’ in Brownsville
- Late run seals WPIAL playoff berth for Highlands
- Penn-Trafford boosts playoff hopes with win at Connellsville
- Greensburg high school roundup: Greensburg Salem edges West Shamokin
- Same old story: Monessen rolls in 3-A, 75-12
- Ford City defeats South Allegheny, clinches playoff spot
- Daily News roundup: Perz’s 26 points leads Norwin past Kiski Area
- Jayhawks cruise past Saints on senior night
- Kiski Area’s playoff hopes are still alive despite latest loss to Norwin
- Defensive strategy sparks New Castle in win over Ambridge