Greensburg Central Catholic's Hipp ruled eligible after PIAA overturns WPIAL ruling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA ruled Greensburg Central Catholic senior basketball player Billy Hipp eligible Wednesday at a hearing at the league office in Mechanicsburg.
The WPIAL had ruled Hipp ineligible in September, citing his transfer from Bishop McCort was at least partly for athletic reasons.
The 6-foot-2 Hipp averaged 12.2 points per game in three seasons at Bishop McCort. He scored 412 points in 2012-13, an average of 14.7 points per game.
“I'm just glad to see any kid ruled eligible so they can enjoy their senior season,” GCC athletic director Dan Mahoney said.
The vote was 4-1 to overturn the WPIAL decision.
Paul Schofield is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Schofield_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- New Dayton food pantry sees more people each week
- Virginia GOP Senate candidate Gillespie piles up mileage in pursuit of Warner