Shalers girls basketball team returns talented and experienced core
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Anytime a team can return four starters and its sixth man from the previous season's playoff team there is reason for optimism. That is the table set for the Shaler Titans basketball team this season, as a talented starting five returns to build off of last season's success.
Seniors Paige Quinn, Abby Conrad, Carly Harris and junior Andi Lydon all started last season, and Liz Klein was the first player off the bench to spark the attack.
“Andi is getting some small D-I and D-2 looks, and Carly has signed her letter of intent for UMBC,” said Neal Martin, Shaler head coach.
“Paige and Anny are getting some looks too.”
Martin expects Kline will step in and fill the spot of Courtney Bauer and help the team build on last year's success.
“How we play will not change … we will bring pressure and push the ball and we have more kids who are ready for more situations,” Martin said. “This season won't be a major overhaul. I hope to do a lot of what we did, only better.”
“Our senior captains lead in various ways and we have a nice freshman class who is learning the way,” Martin said.
The playoffs last year served as a teaching tool and was an experience Martin said there is no substitute for.
“There are big section games, but there is nothing like the playoffs,” Martin said.
The team is sharing the ball according to Martin and there is nobody demanding shots, making everyone an equal part of the offense.
“That is a big asset and I hope they pass that trait along,” Martin said.
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shady Side Academy’s Groff brothers set for Maccabi Games
- Seneca Valley summer basketball camp proves successful
- Baldwin boys basketball team to be led by solid senior leadership in 2015-16
- Monessen’s Brown coaching in J. Budd Grebb Memorial Summer Basketball League
- Young Penn-Trafford girls basketball team using summer league to improve
- Quaker Valley boys basketball puts in summer work
- Norwin girls basketball win McKeesport summer league
- Sarra has made a career out of achieving
- No lack of scoring in Grebb boys’ action