Woytovich leads Charleroi, 56-35
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Charleroi's girls' basketball team will take a 3-0 record into its Section 5-AA opener Thursday after defeating host Jefferson-Morgan, 56-35, Monday night.
Senior guard Mia Woytovich led the Lady Cougars with a double-double as she scored 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. She also had six steals.
Woytovich scored 18 of her points in the second half as she outscored the Lady Rockets on her own, 18-17.
“Mia had a career night,” said Charleroi coach Joe Grodz. “She hit four 3-pointers, including two in the second quarter.”
Charleroi trailed 7-6 after one quarter before taking a 19-18 lead into intermission.
The Lady Cougars outscored J-M 37-17 in the second half, including 26-13 in the fourth quarter.
“We did all right,” Grodz said of his team's performance.
“In the second half, we turned up the pressure and started converting on forced turnovers,” he added. “That allowed us to pull away.”
Charleroi forced 23 turnovers on the night.
Anjie Tilghman and Rachel Ritzer joined Woytovich in double figures with 13 points each.
Nikki Vennick had 17 points for J-M (2-1).
Charleroi hosts Beth-Center 7 p.m. Thursday. There will be no junior varsity game.
Elizabeth Forward 62, Connellsville 48
EF (3-0) got big games from Kylie Owoc and Abigail Sporio as the Lady Warriors dropped the Lady Falcons (1-2).
Owoc scored a game-high 20 points, including four three-pointers, while Sporio had 15 points, 11 assists and eight steals.
Owoc scored 11 points in the first quarter as EF took a 19-8 lead and never was in trouble.
EF opens play in Section 4 AAA Thursday at home against Waynesburg.
Chartiers-Houston 39, Frazier 28
The visiting Lady Commodores were outscored 19-10 in the fourth quarter of their season opener and failed to get a player in double figures against Chartiers-Houston.
The winners got 23 points and 17 rebounds from Addy Knetzer.
Frazier (0-1) hosts Carmichaels tonight.
Elizabeth Forward 59, Yough 31
EF (3-0) got 14 points from Matt Bernadowski, 13 from Jasano Brook and 12 from JaQuan Davidson in rolling past the Cougars in the non-section contest.
Yough (0-3) was led by Josh Sterner with 10 points.
EF outscored Yough 35-14 in the second half.
EF hosts Laurel Highlands tonight while Yough hosts McGuffey Wednesday in non-section games.
Mapletown 70, Bentworth 43
The Bearcats opened the season with a lopsided loss.
Angelo Rios-Lopez led Bentworth with 15 points, including 12 in the fourth quarter.
Mapletown (1-1) was led by Derek Riggleman with 27 points and Eric Atwood with 21.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell girls basketball braces for Greensburg Central
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Sewickley Academy boys basketball off to fast start
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season
- Connellsville can’t overcome poor 2nd quarter in loss to Latrobe
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- Returning starters expected to boost Penn Hills boys basketball squad