Greensburg roundup: Burns scores 34 to lead Hempfield past Connellsville
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Monica Burns poured in 34 points, including six 3-pointers, to lead No. 6 Hempfield (3-1, 1-0) to a 64-49 victory over Connellsville in Section 1-AAAA play Thursday night.
Maria Merendino scored 13 points to pace Connellsville (1-3, 0-1).
Hempfield jumped out to a 20-7 lead in the first quarter.
Norwin 75, Latrobe 33 — Alyana Gribble, Danielle McMaster and Laura Buchanan scored 12 points apiece, and Norwin (2-2, 1-0) routed visiting Latrobe (2-2, 0-1) in a Section 1-AAAA opener. Eleven players scored for the Knights, who overcame an early deficit by blitzing the Wildcats with a 52-16 edge during the second and third quarters combined to pull away.
Penn-Trafford 44, Laurel Highlands 30 — Maria Palarino scored 16 points to carry Penn-Trafford (2-2, 1-0) to a Section 1-AAAA win. Haley Moreland had 12 for Laurel Highlands (1-3, 0-1).
Greensburg Salem 59, Yough 26 — Paced by Karly Mellinger's 20 points, Greensburg Salem (2-1, 1-0) rolled to a victory in the Section 3-AAA opener. Sydney Ross (15), Maggie Kallock (10) and Lydia Kepple (10) also were in double figures for the Golden Lions. Natalie Peebles had 11 for Yough (1-2, 0-1).
Indiana 55, Southmoreland 26 — Kaitlyn Hoff had 21 points to help Indiana (3-1, 1-0) to a win in the Section 3-AAA opener. Olivia Porter had 13 points for Southmoreland (1-3, 0-1).
Belle Vernon 47, Ringgold 31 — Kaitlyn Slagus scored 18 points in leading Belle Vernon (3-1, 1-0) to a Section 4-AAA win.
Greensburg Central Catholic 50, Shady Side Academy 40 — Nikki Addisey scored 19 points to lead No. 5 Greensburg Central Catholic (3-1, 1-0) to a Section 3-AA win. Natalie Palmer had 14 to lead SSA (0-3, 0-1).
Jeannette 60, South Allegheny 37 — Monique Redman scored 22 points to lead Jeannette (1-2, 1-0) to a Section 3-AA victory. Abby Dranko scored 16 for South Allegheny (0-3, 0-1).
Hampton 48, Mt. Pleasant 37 — Lexi Griggs scored 14 points, and Jenna Lafko added 12 to carry Class AAA No. 6 Hampton (1-3) to a nonsection win. Alexa Szelong had 14 points for Mt. Pleasant (1-3).
California 71, Mapletown 44 — Demetri Clements paced California (1-1) with 15 points in a nonsection victory. Derek Riggleman had 25 points for Mapletown (1-3).
Jeannette 62, Greensburg Salem 55 — Julian Batts scored a game-high 22 points and had 10 assists, and Jeannette held on for a nonsection win. Miles Sunder had 16 points for the Jayhawks (2-1).
Max Ponzurick scored 16 for Greensburg Salem (1-3).
Penn-Trafford 64, Woodland Hills 50 — Dom Coconcelli scored 16 points to guide Penn-Trafford (1-2) to a nonsection win. Brian Baker scored 14 for Woodland Hills (0-3).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Closer seats don’t sit well with some fliers
- MLB notebook: Tigers’ Verlander skirts issue of nude photos
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Express E-ZPass lanes to close briefly at Route 43 on turnpike
- Pittsburgh Public Schools students with toy guns on bus face disciplinary action
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Pittsburgh mayor says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Manufacturing cranks up production pace
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart