Daily News roundup: West Mifflin girls roll in Section 4 opener
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Taylor Thomas' 18-point effort helped No. 5 West Mifflin start section play on a positive note as the Titans earned a 67-26 victory over Brownsville in Section 4-AAA play Thursday night. Ciara Patterson added 16, and Alyssa Cairns had 11 for West Mifflin (3-1, 1-0).
Elizabeth Forward 77, Waynesburg 15 — Natalie Fekula had 17 points to help Elizabeth Forward (4-0, 1-0) to a victory in the Section 4-AAA opener for both teams. Also in double figures for EF were Jessica Palady (13), Abigail Sporio (11), Kylie Owoc (10) and Olivia Barkley (10).
Greensburg Salem 59, Yough 26 — Paced by Karly Mellinger's 20 points, Greensburg Salem (2-1, 1-0) rolled to a victory in the Section 3-AAA opener. Sydney Ross (15), Maggie Kallock (10) and Lydia Kepple (10) also were in double figures for the Golden Lions. Natalie Peebles had 11 for Yough (1-2, 0-1).
Jeannette 60, South Allegheny 37 — Monique Redman scored 22 points to lead Jeannette (1-2, 1-0) to a Section 3-AA victory. Abby Dranko scored 16 for South Allegheny (0-3, 0-1).
Riverview 63, East Allegheny 22 — Riverview's Sadie Buchser scored 18 of her game-high 19 points in the first quarter in a Section 3-AA opening win over East Allegheny (0-4, 0-1). Leah Sero had nine points, and Candice Ashbaugh and Madison Long each scored eight for Riverview (2-2, 1-0).
Serra Catholic 61, Quigley Catholic 51 — Katie Sieg scored 12 points, and Leslie Hoye, Danielle Dindak and Nicole Pero all had 11 to lead Serra Catholic (3-1) to a nonsection victory.
Penn-Trafford 64, Woodland Hills 50 — Dom Coconcelli scored 16 points to guide Penn-Trafford (1-2) to a nonsection win. Brian Baker scored 14 for Woodland Hills (0-3).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down classificiation
- Kiski Area girls brace for rough season
- Despite youth, Serra girls basketball team remains optimistic for postseason
- Norwin boys basketball looks to use fast pace, deep bench
- Penn-Trafford boys basketball returning experienced roster
- Southmoreland girls hoops team optimistic
- Keystone Oaks boys hoops coach focused on changing program’s culture
- Fox Chapel boys out to replace pair of 1,000-point scorers