Daily News roundup: Cook's late 3 lifts South Allegheny past Jeannette
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ty Cook finished with 19 points, but none were as important as his 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left to lift the Gladiators past Jeannette, 49-47, in Section 3-AA play Friday night.
South Allegheny (3-2, 1-1) outscored the Jayhawks, 18-8, to finish the comeback. Kordell Thompson had 17 points, and Jeiron Lewis added 11 for the Gladiators.
Jeannette (2-2, 0-1) got 17 points from Julian Batts and 13 from Miles Sunder.
Plum 68, Woodland Hills 37 — Austin Dedert scored a game-high 18 points, and Nicholas Stotler added 14 for the Mustangs (4-0, 1-0) in their Section 2-AAAA win. Jo-El Shaw led the Wolverines (0-4, 0-1) with 13 points.
Fox Chapel 63, McKeesport 51 — Matt D'Amico went over 1,000 points in his career in the first quarter and finished with 21 as the Class AAAA No. 4 Foxes (4-0, 1-0) won in Section 2. Khalil Perdue led the Tigers (2-2, 0-1) with 15 points.
Greensburg Salem 58, Yough 34 — Simeon Stevens' 16 points led three players in double figures as the Golden Lions won in Section 3-AAA. Antonio Ferrari scored 12 points, and Pat Boyer added 10 for the victorious Golden Lions (2-3, 1-0).
Serra Catholic 65, Riverview 57 — Max Kaminsky connected on seven 3-pointers and finished with a game-high 27 points to lead Serra Catholic (1-2, 1-0) to a win in the Section 3-AA opener for both teams. Neil Hartnett added 19 points for the Eagles, who held Riverview (1-3, 0-1) to nine points in the third quarter.
Zach Lesnick scored a team-high 20 points, Paul Knapp added 14 and Nick DiBucci 11 for the Raiders.
Plum 69, Woodland Hills 17 — Courtney Zezza led all scorers with 16 points as Plum opened Section 2-AAAA play with a convincing win. Krista Pietropola scored 14 points, and Lindsey Herd added 10 for Plum (3-2, 1-0). Sarah Miller scored eight points for Woodland Hills (1-4, 0-1).
Fox Chapel 72, McKeesport 28 — Erin Mathias finished with 22 points and five blocks, Taylor Cohen had 13 points and seven steals and Kayla Slovenec added eight points, eight rebounds and seven assists for Fox Chapel (3-1, 1-0) in a Section 2-AAAA win. Nassiah Bray scored eight points to lead McKeesport (2-2, 0-1).
Thomas Jefferson 61, Keystone Oaks 51 — Alexis Yanief scored 25 points to lead Thomas Jefferson (3-2) to a nonsection win. Maryssa Agurs had 26 points for Keystone Oaks (1-4).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Young Steel Valley players looking for experience
- Steel Valley plans to play up-tempo under 1st-year coach Schifino
- Highlands girls looking for improvement after 3-16 campaign
- Quaker Valley boys basketball seniors ready for their time
- Sewickley Academy boys basketball facing new challenges
- Highlands boys put defense first
- Same school, new team for Elizabeth Forward boys basketball coach Kosanovich
- Gateway boys expect to have deep rotation
- Plum boys set to begin defense of section title
- Elizabeth Forward girls basketball team has new coach, same winning attitude
- Gateway girls again the hunters in section race