Talley, Horan lead Thomas Jefferson to KSA Classic title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Thomas Jefferson boys' basketball team traveled to Orlando last week to participate in the KSA Classic Tournament.
The Jaguars defeated a team from Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas in the tournament's green bracket, beating Circle Christian, 76-56; Fleetwood, 62-36; and St. Stephen's Episcopal, 59-58.
Senior swingman Jason Horan hit a jump shot with 25 seconds remaining in the game to lift TJ past St. Stephen's Episcopal.
Zach Talley, a senior point guard who was named team MVP, finished with a game-high 20 points for the Jaguars, who trailed 37-33 at halftime and 49-39 after three quarters.
Senior forward Eric Fairman chipped in with 12 points.
Charlie Scharbo, a senior guard/forward, was the team's leading scorer in the first two games, netting 20 points against Circle Christian (Ala.) and 24 against Fleetwood (Pa.).
Fairman (16), Talley (13) and senior center Chase Winovich (12) also scored in double figures versus Circle Christian, while Horan registered 13 points versus Fleetwood.
The Jaguars, who have won seven consecutive games, improved to 7-1 overall.
Prior to the KSA Classic Tournament, Thomas Jefferson, the defending Section 4-AAA champion, rolled past Erie McDowell (75-67), South Park (65-39), Keystone Oaks (81-39) and East Allegheny (83-40) in succession.
The Jaguars, who are 1-0 in section play, return to action Monday against section rival Elizabeth Forward, which currently is undefeated at 7-0 and 2-0.
The Warriors are ranked No. 1 in Class AAA in the Trib Total Media boys' high school basketball rankings.
EF is led by 6-foot-4 senior forward JaQuan Davidson, a Pitt football recruit who is averaging 12.7 ppg, and George Prota, a 6-11 junior center and Serra Catholic transfer.
Davidson was the leading scorer in the Class AAA division last year with a 22 ppg average.
Scharbo is Thomas Jefferson's leading scorer this season.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell girls basketball braces for Greensburg Central
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- Trib Cup: Winchester Thurston boys basketball motivated by playoff run
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge Upper St. Clair
- Hot-shooting Charleroi blitzes Waynesburg
- Leechburg girls hope youth pays off
- Stinelli developing into scoring threat for Penn-Trafford boys hoops