Lady Jays play hard, show improvement
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette girls basketball may want to patent one of those popular, “Keep Calm and . . .” signs that reads something like, “Keep Calm and Play Together.”
The Lady Jayhawks finished last week having won two of three and splitting against WPIAL Section 3-AA opponents Riverview and Springdale respectively.
Jeannette pounded Monessen in a non-section game in-between the section games. A key for Jeannette all season has been their ability to do often what they do well and handle what other teams throw at them.
Jeannette head coach Adam Knaresborough has been consistent this season in saying the strength of his team is its ability to play together.
“We are coming together as a team,” said Knaresborough. “Everyone plays hard and everyone is getting better. We are gelling nicely.”
Monique Redman, who continues to develop as a scorer, led Jeannette in scoring in both section games last week. Redman netted 15 in Jeannette's 42-41 loss last Monday to Riverview and poured in 25 in the Lady Jayhawks' 54-47 win last Friday over Springdale.
The week's action left Jeannette 2-1 in section play and 3-3 overall.
Freshman guard Olivia Sirnic, whose play has earned praise all season from Knaresborough, added good secondary scoring for Jeannette in both section contests posting 10 points in the Riverview loss and 12 in the Springdale win.
The Lady Jayhawks enter the holiday break in second place in Section 3-AA with difficult opponents in the near future.
Before they resume section play in January, however, Jeannette will travel to Laurel Highlands where they will take on Albert Gallatin tomorrow at 12:45 p.m. in the Laurel Highlands Holiday Tournament.
Jeannette will play Charmichaels on Saturday — tip-off once again scheduled for 12:45 p.m.
Section play resumes on Jan. 2, when the Lady Jayhawks travel to East Allegheny.
GCC (2-0) (4-2)
Jeannette (2-1) (3-3)
Riverview (2-1) (3-4)
Shady Side (2-1) (2-4)
Springdale (1-1) (3-3)
East Allegheny (0-2) (1-5)
South Allegheny (0-3) (1-6)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL Class AA girls basketball preview: Seton-La Salle’s 4th coach in 5 seasons offers unique perspective
- New Valley girls coach still getting acclimated
- Latrobe girls basketball confident they can compete with elite teams in Seciton 1
- Derry girls basketball chasing elusive winning season
- Valley boys on learning curve
- Connellsville boys expecting to compete for postseason spot
- WPIAL Class AA boys basketball preview: Aliquippa taking aim at titles in football, basketball once players return to court
- Southmoreland boys basketball team has high hopes
- WPIAL Class AAA girls basketball preview: South Fayette using title-game defeat as motivation
- Plum boys basketball optimistic entering the season
- Ligonier Valley girls basketball hopes to stonewall opposition