Tourney time for area basketball teams
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Now that most of the presents are unwrapped and leftovers are on the evening's menu, it's time to tip off the holiday basketball tournaments.
The Charleroi Holiday Tournament is a staple of the area and will feature a boys' tripleheader Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
At Charleroi, Southmoreland (1-5) will take on California (2-3) at 6 p.m. Thursday, followed by Yough (2-6) against the host Cougars (3-2) at 7:30 and Belle Vernon Area (2-2) against Bentworth (1-5) in the 9 p.m. finale.
Last year's champion, Steel Valley (5-1), has a bye and will play on Friday.
Other boys' teams will wait until Friday for their holiday tourney debuts.
At Sto-Rox Monessen (3-3) takes on unbeaten Seton-La Salle (6-0) in the first game at 5 p.m. Wilkinsburg (2-4) meets the hosts (2-4) in the other boys' game at 8 p.m.
Ringgold (1-4) will play host Peters Township (4-3) at 7:30 p.m. in the Indiana's holiday tourney after Allderdice takes on South Fayette in the 6 p.m. opener.
At West Allegheny, Elizabeth Forward (7-0) plays Connellsville (4-2) at 6 p.m. with Washington (6-1) opposing West Allegheny (5-2) at 7:30 p.m.
On the girls' side, Monessen (1-3) will be in action tonight in the Neshannock Tournament. The Lady Greyhounds take on the hosts (8-0) at 7:30 p.m. after Cochranton goes up against Ford City (3-2) at 6 p.m.
Bentworth's tournament tips off tonight with West Greene (4-1) against Avonworth (2-2) in the 6 p.m. opener and Bentworth (1-5) taking on Mapletown (1-5) in the 7:30 p.m. nightcap.
On Friday, undefeated EF (7-0) hosts the Betsy Tournament with the hosts taking on McKeesport (2-3) at 8 p.m. and Norwin (4-3) meeting Baldwin (4-2) at 4:45 p.m.
Charleroi (6-1) will meet unbeaten Brentwood (6-0) at 6 p.m. in the California Tournament with host California (5-2) taking on South Allegheny (1-6) in the 7:30 p.m. finale.
Ringgold (5-3) will be in a tournament at California University, playing Morgantown, W.Va., at 5 p.m. West Mifflin (4-2) takes on Imani Christian (1-6) at 7 p.m.
BVA (5-1) will be playing against in the Laurel Highlands (2-5) Tournament taking on Uniontown at 11 a.m.
Frazier (5-1) will also be at Laurel Highlands and meets Carmichaels (2-5) at 9:15 a.m.
At Clairton, Yough (1-7) meets the hosts (0-6) at noon.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: PIAA approves Clairton sanctions
- Breen’s long passes key to Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic’s fast break
- Dwindling numbers no excuse for Sewickley Academy girls basketball
- Quaker Valley boys basketball seniors feeling urgency
- Frazier girls making final push to claim program’s 2nd section championship
- Norwin guard DelleFemine suffering no sophomore slump
- BVA girls clinch playoffs, keep 4-AAA hopes alive
- South Fayette boys basketball focused on section title
- Valley routs Freeport to keep playoff hopes alive
- Daily News roundup: PIAA approves punishment for Clairton football
- Kromka enjoying breakout season with Gateway boys basketball