Tourney time for area basketball teams
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Now that most of the presents are unwrapped and leftovers are on the evening's menu, it's time to tip off the holiday basketball tournaments.
The Charleroi Holiday Tournament is a staple of the area and will feature a boys' tripleheader Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
At Charleroi, Southmoreland (1-5) will take on California (2-3) at 6 p.m. Thursday, followed by Yough (2-6) against the host Cougars (3-2) at 7:30 and Belle Vernon Area (2-2) against Bentworth (1-5) in the 9 p.m. finale.
Last year's champion, Steel Valley (5-1), has a bye and will play on Friday.
Other boys' teams will wait until Friday for their holiday tourney debuts.
At Sto-Rox Monessen (3-3) takes on unbeaten Seton-La Salle (6-0) in the first game at 5 p.m. Wilkinsburg (2-4) meets the hosts (2-4) in the other boys' game at 8 p.m.
Ringgold (1-4) will play host Peters Township (4-3) at 7:30 p.m. in the Indiana's holiday tourney after Allderdice takes on South Fayette in the 6 p.m. opener.
At West Allegheny, Elizabeth Forward (7-0) plays Connellsville (4-2) at 6 p.m. with Washington (6-1) opposing West Allegheny (5-2) at 7:30 p.m.
On the girls' side, Monessen (1-3) will be in action tonight in the Neshannock Tournament. The Lady Greyhounds take on the hosts (8-0) at 7:30 p.m. after Cochranton goes up against Ford City (3-2) at 6 p.m.
Bentworth's tournament tips off tonight with West Greene (4-1) against Avonworth (2-2) in the 6 p.m. opener and Bentworth (1-5) taking on Mapletown (1-5) in the 7:30 p.m. nightcap.
On Friday, undefeated EF (7-0) hosts the Betsy Tournament with the hosts taking on McKeesport (2-3) at 8 p.m. and Norwin (4-3) meeting Baldwin (4-2) at 4:45 p.m.
Charleroi (6-1) will meet unbeaten Brentwood (6-0) at 6 p.m. in the California Tournament with host California (5-2) taking on South Allegheny (1-6) in the 7:30 p.m. finale.
Ringgold (5-3) will be in a tournament at California University, playing Morgantown, W.Va., at 5 p.m. West Mifflin (4-2) takes on Imani Christian (1-6) at 7 p.m.
BVA (5-1) will be playing against in the Laurel Highlands (2-5) Tournament taking on Uniontown at 11 a.m.
Frazier (5-1) will also be at Laurel Highlands and meets Carmichaels (2-5) at 9:15 a.m.
At Clairton, Yough (1-7) meets the hosts (0-6) at noon.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Teams set mark for 3-pointers as East boys nip West, 110-109, in Cager Classic
- Bordonaro boosts East girls to 79-72 victory in Cager Classic
- Kittanning senior Kunst shoots lights out at Cager Classic skills event
- Cager Classic notebook: Highlands, Mars players bury hatchet for the weekend
- Allderdice earns 1st PIAA semifinal berth since ’87 with 65-58 victory over Harrisburg
- Greensburg Central Catholic boys basketball squanders early lead, bows out of state playoffs
- Seton-La Salle girls win, reach PIAA title game
- Vincentian girls headed back to PIAA finals
- Defending champs Blackhawk, Seton-La Salle, Vincentian to face familiar foes in PIAA title games
- High school basketball notebook: Aliquippa motivated by loss in PIAA title game
- Basketball all-stars delay hanging up sneakers