Jeannette girls test themselves in tourney against Quad-A teams
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette girls basketball head coach Adam Knaresborough was just fine with two opening-season blowout losses to two Quad-A teams, Franklin Regional and North Hills, because he knew that playing bigger schools with good programs would better prepare the Lady Jayhawks for the 2013-14 season.
The 2013 portion of the season ended last Saturday with a win over Charmichaels in the consolation game of the Laurel Highlands Holiday Tournament.
Jeannette lost its first-round matchup with Albert Gallatin, 40-37, but Knaresborough was very pleased with his team's effort in losing to a Quad-A team.
“We hung in there shot-for-shot with Albert Gallatin,” said Knaresborough. “We have not backed down from anybody since opening the season with games against two Quad-A teams. It really prepared us for what we would face the rest of the season.”
Jeannette lost the game on the boards as Albert Gallatin outrebounded Jeannette on the offensive and defensive boards. The Lady Jayhawks cleaned up their rebounding and got contributions from several scorers last Saturday in beating Charmichaels, 62-40.
Monique Redman, Jeannette's main scoring threat, dumped in a game-high 29, but was supported with very good secondary scoring from Monica Carl, 14, and Olivia Sirnic, nine. Carl added 14 rebounds for the Lady Jayhawks.
“When Monica Carl gets into double figures it really gives us another dimension offensively and makes us a better team,” said Knaresborough. “We played a great team game. Olivia added nine points and Lauren Banks played a great game covering her defensive assignments.”
Jeannette emerges from the holiday break tonight when they resume section play at East Allegheny. Jeannette is in third place in Section 3-AA at 2-1 in the section and 4-4 overall.
The Lady Jayhawks follow up the East Allegheny game with two non-section games, Friday at Ford City and Monday at Elizabeth Forward.
WPIAL Class AA,
GCC (2-0) (5-3)
Riverview (2-1) (5-4)
Jeannette (2-1) (4-4)
Shady Side (2-1) (3-5)
Springdale (1-1) (4-4)
East Allegheny (0-2) (3-5)
South Allegheny (0-3) (1-8)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Valley Independent roundup: Elizabeth Forward edges Ringgold in Section 4-AAA clash
- Harris develops into team leader for Gateway boys
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season
- Connellsville can’t overcome poor 2nd quarter in loss to Latrobe