Jeannette girls test themselves in tourney against Quad-A teams
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette girls basketball head coach Adam Knaresborough was just fine with two opening-season blowout losses to two Quad-A teams, Franklin Regional and North Hills, because he knew that playing bigger schools with good programs would better prepare the Lady Jayhawks for the 2013-14 season.
The 2013 portion of the season ended last Saturday with a win over Charmichaels in the consolation game of the Laurel Highlands Holiday Tournament.
Jeannette lost its first-round matchup with Albert Gallatin, 40-37, but Knaresborough was very pleased with his team's effort in losing to a Quad-A team.
“We hung in there shot-for-shot with Albert Gallatin,” said Knaresborough. “We have not backed down from anybody since opening the season with games against two Quad-A teams. It really prepared us for what we would face the rest of the season.”
Jeannette lost the game on the boards as Albert Gallatin outrebounded Jeannette on the offensive and defensive boards. The Lady Jayhawks cleaned up their rebounding and got contributions from several scorers last Saturday in beating Charmichaels, 62-40.
Monique Redman, Jeannette's main scoring threat, dumped in a game-high 29, but was supported with very good secondary scoring from Monica Carl, 14, and Olivia Sirnic, nine. Carl added 14 rebounds for the Lady Jayhawks.
“When Monica Carl gets into double figures it really gives us another dimension offensively and makes us a better team,” said Knaresborough. “We played a great team game. Olivia added nine points and Lauren Banks played a great game covering her defensive assignments.”
Jeannette emerges from the holiday break tonight when they resume section play at East Allegheny. Jeannette is in third place in Section 3-AA at 2-1 in the section and 4-4 overall.
The Lady Jayhawks follow up the East Allegheny game with two non-section games, Friday at Ford City and Monday at Elizabeth Forward.
WPIAL Class AA,
GCC (2-0) (5-3)
Riverview (2-1) (5-4)
Jeannette (2-1) (4-4)
Shady Side (2-1) (3-5)
Springdale (1-1) (4-4)
East Allegheny (0-2) (3-5)
South Allegheny (0-3) (1-8)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Class AAAA boys basketball preview: After 1st playoff win since 2003, Hempfield boys hope to advance in postseason
- Kittanning boys basketball shoots for 4th straight playoff trip in program’s final season
- Kittanning girls basketball team return its core
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball coach eager to start season with versatile team
- Norwin boys basketball looks to use fast pace, deep bench
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down in classification
- Thomas Jefferson girls bring hard-nosed play, intangibles to the court
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- Brentwood Boosters’ annual tip-off tournament set for Dec. 5-6
- Thomas Jefferson boys basketball team has high expectations