Cold start for Charleroi in 68-49 defeat
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A start that was as cold as the frigid weather outside proved costly to Charleroi in a Section 5 AA trip to McGuffey Thursday night.
The Lady Cougars shot just 17 percent in the first quarter and fell behind 24-4 en route to a 68-49 loss against the section contenders.
“We came out flat and couldn't make any shots and (McGuffey) just came out and hit everything,” said Charleroi coach Joe Grodz. “They shot like 75 percent in the first quarter. They played really well at the start.
“After that, we settled down and played pretty well, but the first quarter just did us in.”
The loss snapped a two-game winning streak for Charleroi, while McGuffey won for the third straight time.
Charleroi (8-3, 2-2) outscored the Lady Highlanders (7-2, 2-0), 45-44, the final three quarters, but the early deficit was too much to overcome.
“It's tough to win a game when you fall behind by 20 points in the first quarter,” Grodz said.
McGuffey got 11 points from Rachel Czulewicz and six from Sammie Weiss in the big first period.
Weiss led the winners with 21 points, while Czulewicz had 18 and Kati Demi chipped in with 10.
Charleroi was paced by Mia Woytovich with 18 points and 12 rebounds, while Lynsey Wright had 15 points and 10 rebounds and Jen Tilghman had 10 points.
Woytovich scored 10 of her points in the fourth quarter.
Charleroi resumes play tonight at home with a non-section contest against Frazier.
Burgettstown 53, Bentworth 37
The Lady Bearcats (2-7, 0-3) fell behind 18-9 in the first quarter and never recovered on the road in the Section 5 AA contest.
Burgettstown (1-6, 1-2) picked up its first win as Katie Tarr scored 17 points, and Samantha Scopel and Michaela Bertovich added 14 each.
Leading the way for Bentworth were Grace Marchezak with 13 points and Kendra Campbell with 11.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge Upper St. Clair
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- High school roundup: Quaker Valley girls win at buzzer
- Valley boys basketball dominates boards, improves to 3-0
- High school roundup: OLSH uses big 2nd half to surge past Quaker Valley
- Charleroi drops Frazier
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest