Weather freezes athletic schedule
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The arctic blast that swooped down on the mid-Mon Valley Monday and is continuing into today wreaked havoc with scholastic sporting events for both days.
Almost every area school canceled games scheduled for Monday and Tuesday in light of the frigid cold and sub-zero wind chills.
“This weather is absolutely miserable and it is driving a lot of us crazy,” said Charleroi Area Athletic Director Bill Wiltz, who doubles as the school's boys' basketball coach.
Charleroi was forced to postpone Monday's big Section 5 AA showdown for first place at Brownsville for the second time. The game will be played 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Brownsville.
One of the biggest hits locally because of the cold spell is at Belle Vernon Area where tonight's “Don Asmonga Night” was scheduled before the game against Thomas Jefferson.
The retired legendary coach who spent 23 years as the first basketball coach in the school's history was to be honored with various guests including Pitt broadcasters Bill Hillgrove and Dick Groat, as well as members of BVA's 1978 WPIAL championship team, and other close family and friends.
“Murphy's Law got us pretty good,” said Joe Grata, one of the organizers of the Asmonga testimonial.
Arrangements for “Don Amonga Night” are being handled by members of the original BVA Football-Basketball Boosters Club of the 1960s-1970s and a cast of other people, including members of the 1978 WPIAL Class AAA championship basketball team that Asmonga coached.
The event has been rescheduled for Jan. 28 when the Leps will entertain West Mifflin.
Other games postponed for tonight include boys' basketball contests Avella at Monessen, Frazier at Charleroi, California Area at West Greene and East Allegheny at Ringgold.
Also postponed for tonight is the Belle Vernon Area at Connellsville wrestling match. It has been rescheduled for Jan. 14.
Meanwhile, some games that were postponed have already been rescheduled.
In girls' basketball, Monessen's home game with Serra will be played 7:30 p.m. Jan. 15.
Monessen's boys' game against Avella will be played 2:30 p.m. Jan. 25.
Ringgold's girls' home game against East Allegheny will be played 10:30 a.m. Jan. 18 before the boys' team plays Connellsville.
Ringgold's boys' game against EA will be played 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Charleroi's boys' game at Brownsville that was postponed Monday will be played 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.
California's girls' game against Carmichaels postponed Monday will be played 7:30 p.m. Jan. 14.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thomas Jefferson girls bring hard-nosed play, intangibles to the court
- Wildcats return their core
- Kittanning boys basketball shoots for 4th straight playoff trip in program’s final season
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball coach eager to start season with versatile team
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down in classification
- Thomas Jefferson boys basketball team has high expectations
- Class AAAA boys basketball preview: After 1st playoff win since 2003, Hempfield boys hope to advance in postseason
- Quaker Valley boys basketball seniors ready for their time
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- Young Steel Valley players looking for experience