Daily News roundup: Late free throws carry Franklin Regional girls past McKeesport
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hannah Bursic's free throw with 25 seconds left lifted the Franklin Regional girls basketball team to a 52-48 Section 2-AAAA win over McKeesport.
Mary Komandt led Franklin Regional (4-6, 1-3) with 12 points, and Baylee Buleca and Brooke Conroy scored 11 and 10, respectively. T.T. Burke scored 15 points for McKeesport (4-6, 1-3), and Jamie Reddix added 13.
Norwin 70, Kiski Area 11 — Alayna Gribble scored 16 points to lead the Knights (6-4, 4-0) in Section 1-AAAA.
Derry 51, Yough 34 — Morgan Roble and Rachel Garris scored 12 points each for Derry (3-7, 1-4) in Section 3-AAA. Natalie Peebles scored 10 points for Yough (2-10, 0-5).
Thomas Jefferson 70, Waynesburg 38 — Haley Zoglmann scored 17 points, and Alexis Yanief added 16 for the Jaguars (8-4, 3-2) in Section 4-AAA.
Greensburg C.C. 77, East Allegheny 22 — Carolyn Appleby scored a game-high 21 points, and Nikki Addisey added 14 for the Centurions (8-3, 5-0) in their Section 3-AA win. Cache Street led East Allegheny (3-6, 0-3) with 12 points.
Springdale 44, South Allegheny36 — Amanda Koprivnikar and Jill Henley scored 14 and 10 points, respectively, for Springdale (5-6, 2-3), which trailed 19-16 at halftime in a Section 3-AA win. Abby Dranko went 7 for 10 at the foul line and finished with 25 points for South Allegheny (1-11, 0-5).
Seton-La Salle 64, Steel Valley 32 — Mia Marzina scored 12 points to lead Class AA No. 1 Seton-La Salle (9-3, 4-0) to a win in Section 4-A. Rayon Williams led Steel Valley (0-8, 0-2) with 19 points.
West Mifflin 52, Canon-McMillan 50 — Taylor Thomas scored 13 points to lead Class AAA No. 3 West Mifflin (7-2) in nonsection play. Olivia Lorusso led the Big Macs (5-7) with 18 points.
Franklin Regional 75, McKeesport 66 — Franklin Regional's Matt Renzi made six 3-pointers, finishing with a game-high 24 points, in a Section 2-AAAA victory. Todd Summers scored 14 points, Charan Singh added 13 and Matt Fisch had 10 for the Panthers (7-4, 3-2). Khalil Perdue led McKeesport (4-7, 1-4) with 22 points. Jordan Payne added 18, and William Gadson had 13.
Elizabeth Forward 69, Southmoreland 45 — George Prota scored 14 points, and Matthew Bernadowski scored 12 to lead the Class AAA No. 1 Warriors (10-1) to a nonsection win. Tommy Pisula and Mike Mucha scored 11 points each for Southmoreland (1-10).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kittanning senior Kunst shoots lights out at Cager Classic skills event
- Cager Classic notebook: Highlands, Mars players bury hatchet for the weekend
- Tough seasons to end on high note for girls at Cager Classic
- High school basketball notebook: Aliquippa motivated by loss in PIAA title game
- Division I-bound duo to lead East girls team at Cager Classic
- Blackhawk girls beat Archbishop Wood, defend PIAA hoops title
- PIAA committee wants to revive western final
- Jeannette’s season ends with loss against Farrell
- Former assistant Bellinotti named new Burrell head coach
- Aliquippa boys’ bid for undefeated season ends with loss in PIAA Class AA title game
- Seton-La Salle coach’s system validated with back-to-back berths in WPIAL finals