Daily News roundup: South Allegheny boys come through in OT
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kordell Thompson scored 16 points, and Jeiron Lewis and Ty Cook each had 11 as South Allegheny (11-4, 6-1) earned a 41-34 overtime decision over Jeannette in a Section 3-AA game Friday night.
The Gladiators held an 8-1 edge in overtime.
Damone Morton had 11 points for Jeannette (8-5, 4-3).
Hempfield 63, Norwin 50 — Kason Harrell scored 20 points and surpassed 1,000 points in his career, helping No. 3 Hempfield (12-1, 7-0) rally for a Section 1-AAAA victory.
The Spartans outscored Norwin (9-6, 3-4), 35-18 in the second half, erasing a 32-28 halftime deficit.
Tony Pilato had 14 points and 12 rebounds for the Spartans. Steve Socrates came off the bench and hit six 3-pointers to lead Norwin (9-6, 3-4) with 20 points, while Zach Bryan added 10.
Greensburg Salem 57, Yough 37 — In Section 3-AAA, Max Ponzurick scored 12 points, and Joey Leo and Nick Alwine added 10 each to guide Greensburg Salem (7-7, 4-2). Josh Sterner had 13 points for Yough (4-12, 1-6).
West Mifflin 78, East Allegheny 36 — Ryan Maha scored a game-high 14 points as West Mifflin (7-4, 3-3) won in Section 4-AAA.
Fox Chapel 55, McKeesport 38 — Erin Mathias recorded a double-double with a game-high 16 points and 21 rebounds as Class AAAA No. 4 Fox Chapel (12-3, 7-0) remained undefeated in Section 2. Johnasia Cash scored 16 points for McKeesport (4-9, 1-6).
Monessen 41, Clairton 29 — Mariha Johnson scored a game-high 20 points, including 14 in the first half as Monessen (3-8, 2-2) earned a victory in Section 4-A. Malaysha Pettiford led Clairton (0-10, 0-3) with 15 points.
Baldwin 44, Thomas Jefferson 43 — Baldwin (9-6, 3-5) managed to squeak out a nonsection victory by using a balanced offensive attack. Alexis Yanief scored a game-high 12 points for Thomas Jefferson (8-6, 3-3).
Serra Catholic 71, Jefferson-Morgan 22 — Katie Sieg and Leslie Hoye each scored a game-high 12 points as Class A No. 2 Serra Catholic (13-1, 5-0) won in nonsection action.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell girls basketball braces for Greensburg Central
- Connellsville can’t overcome poor 2nd quarter in loss to Latrobe
- Chartiers Valley boys basketball competes, bonds in Arizona
- Fox Chapel’s Urso adjusts quickly between football, basketball
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- Jeannette boys look to get healthy over holiday break
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Roundup: Cal turns showdown into 63-36 blowout
- Riverview players showing determination to turn program around
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- Uptempo style of play leads to strong start for Bishop Canevin boys