Lady Rams grab conference victories
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In a three-game home stand, the Ligonier Valley girls' basketball team beat conference opponents Penns Manor and United though fell to Indiana in a non-conference game. This brings the Lady Rams to 8-3 in the Heritage Conference and gives them an overall record of 10-3.
Ligonier Valley out scored the Penns Manor Comets in all four quarters to win 47-32. Twelve points in the first quarter gave the Lady Rams a slim four-point lead, which they extended to seven by halftime. Sixteen points in the third quarter put Ligonier up 37-24 going into the fourth. At the final buzzer, Penns Manor was unable to get the score to within single digits.
Taylor Rudnik led scoring for the Lady Rams with 11 points and made eight steals on the night. Helene Bloom and Olivia Miller both scored 10 points, Amanda Ross put up six, Jamie Wynn and Madison McLaughlin each contributed four and Kacie Flickinger added two points to the tally.
Ligonier did not have the same jump when non-conference opponent Indiana came to town. The Lady Rams stayed within striking distance through three quarters, trailing 27-21 at half time. Indiana extended the lead to 11 points in the third quarter, making the task more difficult. Twenty-four Little Indian points in the final period proved to be too tall an order, putting the game far out of Ligonier's reach, 65-38.
Rudnik again led scoring for Ligonier Valley with 12 points. McLaughlin followed with eight, Bloom put up six points, Miller five, Ross scored three and Wynn and Flickinger both contributed two.
In a return match, the Lady Rams were able to avenge an earlier loss to United 47-36. Ligonier Valley stayed out in front through the entire game, beginning with a strong first half, in which the Rams scored 24 points and allowed only 14. A low scoring third period 7-6 in favor of Ligonier again kept the Lions at a safe distance and a 16-16 fourth quarter evened the season series at one win a piece.
McLaughlin's 14 points was the high score for Ligonier. Ross followed with 11 points. Rudnik scored nine and made nine steals. Miller put up five points and Bloom scored four and grabbed nine rebounds. Wynn added three and Flickinger sank a free throw.
Weather permitting the Ligonier Rams will travel Thursday to Purchase Line for a 7:30 p.m. game with the Red Dragons.
Peter Turcik is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Mars coach looks to lead Hampton girls to victory
- Fox Chapel girls aim to to stay healthy
- Frazier girls expect success under 2nd-year coach
- Kiski Area boys a team in transition after graduation of top scorer
- Knoch girls seek dividends of experience
- Steel Valley boys put focus back on basketball
- Steel Valley girls plan to play ‘small ball’
- With star Satira gone, Serra Catholic boys basketball to rely on team effort
- Latrobe boys look to defend Section 1-AAAA title with experienced lineup
- WPIAL AAAA boys basketball preview: Runners-up last season, North Allegheny hopes to take next step
- Knoch basketball team gets reinforcements