Valley local roundup: Burrell boys brave ice for victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Burrell braved icy road conditions to play a nonsection game Wednesday night at Derry, but the trip back didn't seem quite as dicey with a victory in hand.
Four Burrell players scored in double figures as the playoff-bound Bucs defeated Derry, 59-46.
Brendan Lettrich led the way with 17 points and seven rebounds. Max Garda had 13 points, and Lucas Cable and Joey Cox added 12 each for the Bucs (6-14).
Luke Ridilla had 18 points for Derry (6-11), all on 3-pointers.
Greensburg Central Catholic 82, Riverview 57 — The host Centurions (17-2, 11-0) sprinted to a 32-8 lead after the first quarter on the way to a Section 3-AA win. Brian Graytok led GCC with 14 points, while Nick DiBucci had 12 for Riverview (5-14, 1-10).
Riverview 42, Springdale 31 — Sadie Buchser's game-high 15 points led Riverview (13-8, 9-3) past Springdale (6-13, 3-9) in Section 3-AA play. The Raiders won for the sixth time in their past eight games despite making only 7 of 20 free-throw attempts.
Amanda Kuba led Springdale with 12 points.
Penn State Greater Allegheny 85, Penn State New Kensington 74 — Petrie Addison made six 3-pointers and scored 38 points to push Penn State Greater Allegheny (6-16, 5-8 PSUAC West) past Penn State New Kensington (7-12, 6-8) in Upper Burrell.
Nick Dizon added 16 points for Greater Allegheny, which was 21 for 30 from the free-throw line. For PSNK, Shaquille Hager led the way with 18 points, and Darryl Harrington scored 14.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shady Side Academy’s Groff brothers set for Maccabi Games
- Young Penn-Trafford girls basketball team using summer league to improve
- Norwin girls basketball win McKeesport summer league
- No lack of scoring in Grebb boys’ action
- Baldwin boys basketball team to be led by solid senior leadership in 2015-16
- Gateway girls basketball coach to take over Shaler
- Monessen’s Brown coaching in J. Budd Grebb Memorial Summer Basketball League