HS Buzz: Section 2-AAAA goes down to the wire
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For most of the season, boys basketball teams in Section 2-AAAA jockeyed for playoff positions.
At times, there were six teams that showed signs of greatness. But only four will continue their season in the WPIAL playoffs, which start this week.
Fox Chapel (9-5) used a 56-50 win over Central Catholic on Friday to earn a playoff berth, joining Plum (11-3), Franklin Regional (10-4) and Gateway (9-5).
The Vikings (8-6), who started the season 5-1 but lost three of their final four, as well as McKeesport (7-7), which won five of seven section games down the stretch, were left out.
Baldwin junior lineman Sterling Jenkins, a four-star recruit by rivals.com, accepted an invitation to play in the 2015 Under Armour All-American game Friday.
Call to the Hall
The Class of 2014 has been announced for the Mid Mon Valley All Sports Hall of Fame.
Seven new members will be inducted during the 21th annual banquet at The Willow Room on June 20 in Rostraver Township. The class of 2014 includes Milfred “Bubby” Holmes, the late John Maczuzak, Maurice Mathieu, Heather Ferrari Milkent, Tony Segzda, Chuck Smith and Ed Zuraw.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell girls basketball braces for Greensburg Central
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Valley Independent roundup: Elizabeth Forward edges Ringgold in Section 4-AAA clash
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Hot-shooting Charleroi blitzes Waynesburg
- Fox Chapel’s Urso adjusts quickly between football, basketball
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport