HS Buzz: Section 2-AAAA goes down to the wire
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For most of the season, boys basketball teams in Section 2-AAAA jockeyed for playoff positions.
At times, there were six teams that showed signs of greatness. But only four will continue their season in the WPIAL playoffs, which start this week.
Fox Chapel (9-5) used a 56-50 win over Central Catholic on Friday to earn a playoff berth, joining Plum (11-3), Franklin Regional (10-4) and Gateway (9-5).
The Vikings (8-6), who started the season 5-1 but lost three of their final four, as well as McKeesport (7-7), which won five of seven section games down the stretch, were left out.
Baldwin junior lineman Sterling Jenkins, a four-star recruit by rivals.com, accepted an invitation to play in the 2015 Under Armour All-American game Friday.
Call to the Hall
The Class of 2014 has been announced for the Mid Mon Valley All Sports Hall of Fame.
Seven new members will be inducted during the 21th annual banquet at The Willow Room on June 20 in Rostraver Township. The class of 2014 includes Milfred “Bubby” Holmes, the late John Maczuzak, Maurice Mathieu, Heather Ferrari Milkent, Tony Segzda, Chuck Smith and Ed Zuraw.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- Despite youth, Serra girls basketball team remains optimistic for postseason
- Fox Chapel girls prepare for life without state’s player of the year
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down classificiation
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- Kiski Area girls brace for rough season
- Norwin boys basketball looks to use fast pace, deep bench
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Keystone Oaks boys hoops coach focused on changing program’s culture
- Shady Side boys seek return to postseason
- Penn-Trafford boys basketball returning experienced roster