HS Buzz: Section 2-AAAA goes down to the wire
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For most of the season, boys basketball teams in Section 2-AAAA jockeyed for playoff positions.
At times, there were six teams that showed signs of greatness. But only four will continue their season in the WPIAL playoffs, which start this week.
Fox Chapel (9-5) used a 56-50 win over Central Catholic on Friday to earn a playoff berth, joining Plum (11-3), Franklin Regional (10-4) and Gateway (9-5).
The Vikings (8-6), who started the season 5-1 but lost three of their final four, as well as McKeesport (7-7), which won five of seven section games down the stretch, were left out.
Baldwin junior lineman Sterling Jenkins, a four-star recruit by rivals.com, accepted an invitation to play in the 2015 Under Armour All-American game Friday.
Call to the Hall
The Class of 2014 has been announced for the Mid Mon Valley All Sports Hall of Fame.
Seven new members will be inducted during the 21th annual banquet at The Willow Room on June 20 in Rostraver Township. The class of 2014 includes Milfred “Bubby” Holmes, the late John Maczuzak, Maurice Mathieu, Heather Ferrari Milkent, Tony Segzda, Chuck Smith and Ed Zuraw.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Riverview girls apply lessons learned
- Up and down season ends for Ligonier Valley girls
- High school notebook: Attendance up at WPIAL basketball title games
- HS highlight reel: PIAA spring sports season underway
- Burrell girls basketball team plans PIAA rebound
- Monessen boys, Cal Area girls each draw Venango Catholic
- Blairsville girls claim District 6-A title
- McConnell’s 34 points fuel Chartiers Valley’s victory in Class AAAA title game
- Undefeated Aliquippa downs Seton-La Salle for WPIAL Class AA title
- Blairsville boys claim District 6 title
- Cal saw both sides of WPIAL’s ‘play-in bracket’