Alle-Kiski Valley preview: Tuesday's WPIAL basketball playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
WPIAL basketball playoff preview
Class AAA First round
No. 6 Knoch (16-4) vs. No. 11 Blackhawk (11-11)
8 p.m. at North Allegheny
Winner plays: No. 14 West Allegheny (13-10)/No. 3 Thomas Jefferson (20-2) winner.
Layup lines: Knoch finished in a three-way tie for first in Section 1-AAA and got the top seed out of a trio that also included Indiana and Mars. The Knights have allowed a WPIAL-low 40.2 points per game. They won a preliminary-round game last season for their first postseason win since 2006. ... Blackhawk has its own suite in the WPIAL playoffs, qualifying for the 32nd straight time. The Cougars' record is deceiving because their schedule is dotted with quality teams, and Section 2 is fairly strong. They allow more points (59.8) than they score (58.1).
Class AAAA First round
No. 3 Fox Chapel (17-4) vs. No. 14 Pine-Richland (14-8)
8 p.m. at North Hills
Winner plays: No. 6 Norwin (16-5)/ No. 11 Penn Hills (14-8) winner.
Layup lines: Fox Chapel won the Section 2 title by two games over Plum and is aiming for a second straight spot in the quarterfinals. Shot-altering senior Erin Mathias, a 6-foot-3 Duke recruit, has helped power the Foxes to the best defensive average in Quad-A (36.4 ppg). ... Pine-Richland never has played Fox Chapel in the playoffs. The Rams have used balanced scoring with Amanda Kalin (14.9 ppg), Kaitlyn Jenkins (13.1) and Makenzie Jenkins (13.0) averaging in double figures.
Class AA First round
No. 2 Burrell (22-0) vs. No. 15 Shenango (13-9)
6:30 p.m. at Plum
Winner plays: No. 7 McGuffey (19-3)/No. 11 Brentwood (15-6) winner.
Layup lines: A semifinalist last season, Burrell put together its best regular season, capping the undefeated gem with a 63-61 win over Class-AAA Mt. Pleasant, but the Lady Bucs will have gone nine days without playing a game. Junior point guard Sydney Bordonaro, a Pepperdine recruit, scored a career-high 35 in her last game, but Burrell's postseason success could lie in the play of senior role players Jaila Manga, Jess Cercone and Kelsey Oddis. ... Shenango's top scorers are sophomore guards Sam Seaburn (15.5 ppg) and Angelina Sibeto (15.3). Sibeto had 15 and Seaburn 13 in a preliminary-round win over Charleroi.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville girls fall short against Penn-Trafford
- High school basketball notebook: Playoff picture comes into focus
- BVA cruises past Brownsville
- Trib Cup: Baldwin girls basketball team stands by motto
- HS highlight reel: Clairton hopes to use incident, sanctions as learning experience
- Sporio leads EF past Ringgold, 48-41
- Area basketball teams embrace opportunities to play for championships
- Blairville fueled by last season’s disappointment
- High school roundup: Late free throws lead Peters Township past West Allegheny
- Daily News roundup: Steel Valley girls top Burgettstown
- Gorman: Two good friends coach for milestone win