Alle-Kiski Valley preview: Tuesday's WPIAL basketball playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
WPIAL basketball playoff preview
Class AAAFirst round
No. 6 Knoch (16-4) vs. No. 11 Blackhawk (11-11)
8 p.m. at North Allegheny
Winner plays: No. 14 West Allegheny (13-10)/No. 3 Thomas Jefferson (20-2) winner.
Layup lines: Knoch finished in a three-way tie for first in Section 1-AAA and got the top seed out of a trio that also included Indiana and Mars. The Knights have allowed a WPIAL-low 40.2 points per game. They won a preliminary-round game last season for their first postseason win since 2006. ... Blackhawk has its own suite in the WPIAL playoffs, qualifying for the 32nd straight time. The Cougars' record is deceiving because their schedule is dotted with quality teams, and Section 2 is fairly strong. They allow more points (59.8) than they score (58.1).
Class AAAAFirst round
No. 3 Fox Chapel (17-4) vs. No. 14 Pine-Richland (14-8)
8 p.m. at North Hills
Winner plays: No. 6 Norwin (16-5)/No. 11 Penn Hills (14-8) winner.
Layup lines: Fox Chapel won the Section 2 title by two games over Plum and is aiming for a second straight spot in the quarterfinals. Shot-altering senior Erin Mathias, a 6-foot-3 Duke recruit, has helped power the Foxes to the best defensive average in Quad-A (36.4 ppg). ... Pine-Richland never has played Fox Chapel in the playoffs. The Rams have used balanced scoring with Amanda Kalin (14.9 ppg), Kaitlyn Jenkins (13.1) and Makenzie Jenkins (13.0) averaging in double figures.
Class AAFirst round
No. 2 Burrell (22-0) vs. No. 15 Shenango (13-9)
6:30 p.m. at Plum
Winner plays: No. 7 McGuffey (19-3)/No. 11 Brentwood (15-6) winner.
Layup lines: A semifinalist last season, Burrell put together its best regular season, capping the undefeated gem with a 63-61 win over Class-AAA Mt. Pleasant, but the Lady Bucs will have gone nine days without playing a game. Junior point guard Sydney Bordonaro, a Pepperdine recruit, scored a career-high 35 in her last game, but Burrell's postseason success could lie in the play of senior role players Jaila Manga, Jess Cercone and Kelsey Oddis. ... Shenango's top scorers are sophomore guards Sam Seaburn (15.5 ppg) and Angelina Sibeto (15.3). Sibeto had 15 and Seaburn 13 in a preliminary-round win over Charleroi.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cager Classic notebook: Highlands, Mars players bury hatchet for the weekend
- PIAA committee wants to revive western final
- Tough seasons to end on high note for girls at Cager Classic
- Division I-bound duo to lead East girls team at Cager Classic
- Ford City, Kittanning making final appearances at Cager Classic
- Wise’s triple-double leads Vincentian to PIAA Class A girls title
- Blackhawk girls beat Archbishop Wood, defend PIAA hoops title
- High school basketball notebook: Aliquippa motivated by loss in PIAA title game
- Seton-La Salle girls basketball team peaks with 8-game playoff run
- Seton-La Salle coach’s system validated with back-to-back berths in WPIAL finals