Ware leads Indians offense as playoffs start
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Mike Ware, a 6-foot-4 sophomore, stepped into the SSA starting lineup as a freshman and averaged in double figures.
He has led the team in rebounding and his scoring has come alive recently as he has scored a total of 39 points in SSA's last two games, including an impressive 22-point performance in the first round of the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
For his efforts, he has been named The Herald Spotlight Athlete.
Ware also plays outside linebacker on the football team and is a pitcher on the baseball team.
Here's a closer look at Mike:
Q: Who have been your role models in sports and in life?
A: In sports, it's Michael Westbrook. He plays hard every second he's on the court. In life, my parents and grandparents have been very supportive in guiding me.
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
A: “Criminal Minds.”
Q: What's the last book you've read?
Q: What three words would describe you?
A: Friendly, fun and energetic.
Q: Who's your favorite singer or band?
A: Kid Ink.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: Julius Randall, who plays hoops for Kentucky.
Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Playing video games and hanging out with my teammates.
Q: What is your favorite animal at the zoo?
A: The snow leopard.
Q: Who is the best player in the NBA?
A: Lebron James.
Q: What's your favorite vacation destination?
A: Disney World.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Selena Gomez.
Q: Who makes the best pizza in Pittsburgh?
A: I like Pizza Hut. I could eat that every day.
Q: How much time have you spent watching the Winter Olympics?
A: None. I'm really not into it. I'm ticked that it's pre-empted a lot of my favorite shows.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: “We're the Millers.”
Q: Do you believe in ghosts?
A: No, I don't.
Q: What's your favorite class at school?
Q: What would make up your favorite all-time meal?
A: Pancakes, mac n' cheese and tacos.
Q: Is there a food you refuse to eat?
A: Pineapple. I don't even like the smell of it.
Q: People would be surprised to know that I...
A: ... Have a 5-foot high mini-hoop in my living room that I shoot at every day. I've had it since I was a kid.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notices: Oct. 5, 2015
- Sunday - Oct. 4, 2015
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- High-speed chase ends in Duquesne crash
- Strong police presence cut crimes, behavior issues at IUP homecoming, police say
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Girl battling cancer scratches item off bucket list with PNC Park trip
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s