Charleroi's Woytovich makes 5-AA first team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Charleroi senior Mia Woytovich is one of two Lady Cougars basketball players to make the 5 AA All-Section Team, as voted on by the coaches.
Woytovich made the first team, while teammate Anjie Tilghman made the section's “finest 15.”
Woytovich, a 5-9 guard, who topped 1,000 points earlier in the year, averaged 19.4 points per game and six rebounds while helping lead Charleroi to a 17-6 record.
A four-year starter, Woytovich played on four straight playoff teams at Charleroi.
Woytovich scored 19 points and had six rebounds and four steals in her final game, a 54-48 playoff loss to Shenango. She finished her career with 1,103 points.
Charleroi coach Joe Grodz said of Woytovich, “She's a special player and works hard. On the floor, she's going 100 percent all the time. When she's going and she's on, no one can match her.”
Tilghman, a 5-7 senior, averaged 13.8 ppg game for the Lady Cougars.
“She is very deserving,” Grodz said of Tilghman. “Both her and Mia were very hard-working players for me. They were a big part of our success over their careers.”
Joining Woytovich on the section's first team are McGuffey juniors Sammie Weiss and Rachel Czulkewicz, Beth-Center junior Anna Bartman and Washington senior India March.
Also named to the “finest 15” is Bentworth junior Reilly Skerbetz. Skerbetz, a 5-9 guard/forward, averaged 14 ppg for the Lady Bearcats.
Washington had the most selections on the Finest Fifteen with four.
McGuffey had three players on the total squad.
Weiss, who averaged 23.8 ppg, for McGuffey, was named the section's Most Valuable Player.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cager Classic notebook: Highlands, Mars players bury hatchet for the weekend
- PIAA committee wants to revive western final
- Ford City, Kittanning making final appearances at Cager Classic
- Tough seasons to end on high note for girls at Cager Classic
- PIAA basketball playoff capsules
- Despite Bordonaro’s career-high 36, Burrell girls defeated in PIAA playoffs
- Monessen boys basketball team loses to Kennedy Catholic, 81-63, in PIAA Class A quarterfinals
- Division I-bound duo to lead East girls team at Cager Classic
- Seton-La Salle girls fall short in Class AA final
- Blackhawk girls beat Archbishop Wood, defend PIAA hoops title