Pitt recruit Rowan leaving Lincoln Park
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pitt basketball recruit Maverick Rowan is leaving Lincoln Park for a high school in Florida.
The 6-foot-7 junior withdrew Thursday from the Beaver County charter school with plans to enroll at Cardinal Gibbons High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He'll move there with his parents and two younger brothers.
“It was a family decision, not just for Maverick's basketball career,” said his father, Ron, who considered the weather a key factor. “Everyone was involved.”
Rowan averaged 26.5 points last season when Lincoln Park won WPIAL and PIAA Class A titles.
“Even though we're sad to lose the kid, we're happy for Maverick,” Lincoln Park athletic director Mike Bariski said. “We support him.”
Cardinal Gibbons is a traditional Catholic school, not a prep school. The basketball team was 24-6 last season and reached the Class 5A regional semifinals. Florida has eight classifications.
Rowan, who turned 18 in July, could have finished high school at Lincoln Park.
“Everyone thinks he's too old, but he's not,” his father said.
Rowan traveled the country this summer for all-star events, with trips to Chicago, Dallas, Indianapolis, Orlando, Las Vegas and Los Angeles and one overseas to Italy.
His early commitment to Pitt remains in place.
“We'll just take it as it comes,” Ron Rowan said of the future. “Right now, he's still verbally committed.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell girls basketball braces for Greensburg Central
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Daily News roundup: Plum deals McKeesport girls first loss
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Valley Independent roundup: Elizabeth Forward edges Ringgold in Section 4-AAA clash
- High school roundup: OLSH uses big 2nd half to surge past Quaker Valley
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport