Freedom coach expects team to be competitive
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freedom coach Frank Hernandez had high hopes for his team last season but had trouble without quarterback Forrest Petcovic, who missed part of the season with a broken leg.
In 2011, the team notched only one victory, 35-20, over Mohawk.
Hernandez believes this year will be different.
“This is the first year that I expect us to be competitive,” Hernandez said.
“For the first time, our kids get lined up and know what to do. These seniors have been starting since their freshman and sophomore years.”
Besides Petcovic, three other seniors will lead the Bulldogs: quarterback Sam Becky, running back Allan-Michael Conforti and offensive lineman Brandon Heckman.
Jared Hogue, a junior quarterback, will also add depth. Hernandez said Heckman, at 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, has already received Division I looks.
After a busy offseason, including a scrimmage against McKinley, in Canton, Ohio, Hernandez has high hopes.
“We expect to go out there and compete every day,” Hernandez said. “We won't be happy if we don't make the playoffs.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pine-Richland hopes to avoid ‘drop off’ against State College
- Through the years: A look at final games of A-K Valley schools
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- Liotta, Petrishen represent AK-Valley at WPIAL football finals
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- Thomas Jefferson gridders post 3rd straight 11-1 record