Freedom coach expects team to be competitive
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freedom coach Frank Hernandez had high hopes for his team last season but had trouble without quarterback Forrest Petcovic, who missed part of the season with a broken leg.
In 2011, the team notched only one victory, 35-20, over Mohawk.
Hernandez believes this year will be different.
“This is the first year that I expect us to be competitive,” Hernandez said.
“For the first time, our kids get lined up and know what to do. These seniors have been starting since their freshman and sophomore years.”
Besides Petcovic, three other seniors will lead the Bulldogs: quarterback Sam Becky, running back Allan-Michael Conforti and offensive lineman Brandon Heckman.
Jared Hogue, a junior quarterback, will also add depth. Hernandez said Heckman, at 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, has already received Division I looks.
After a busy offseason, including a scrimmage against McKinley, in Canton, Ohio, Hernandez has high hopes.
“We expect to go out there and compete every day,” Hernandez said. “We won't be happy if we don't make the playoffs.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fight stops Monessen-Wilkinsburg game in 3rd quarter
- Clairton rolls to victory at Riverview behind RB Dreher
- Franklin Regional holds off Armstrong
- Highlands humbles Deer Lakes in Allegheny Conference play
- West Allegheny rushes to victory over Montour
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic cruises to nonconference victory over Riverside
- Derry rallies to down Southmoreland
- Kiski Area avenges last year’s 65-0 loss with upset of Plum
- Frazier finally allows TD, win streak continues vs. Leechburg
- Junior running back Ross leads Greensburg Central Catholic past Serra, 42-10
- Amendola carries Norwin past Altoona