Freedom coach expects team to be competitive
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freedom coach Frank Hernandez had high hopes for his team last season but had trouble without quarterback Forrest Petcovic, who missed part of the season with a broken leg.
In 2011, the team notched only one victory, 35-20, over Mohawk.
Hernandez believes this year will be different.
“This is the first year that I expect us to be competitive,” Hernandez said.
“For the first time, our kids get lined up and know what to do. These seniors have been starting since their freshman and sophomore years.”
Besides Petcovic, three other seniors will lead the Bulldogs: quarterback Sam Becky, running back Allan-Michael Conforti and offensive lineman Brandon Heckman.
Jared Hogue, a junior quarterback, will also add depth. Hernandez said Heckman, at 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, has already received Division I looks.
After a busy offseason, including a scrimmage against McKinley, in Canton, Ohio, Hernandez has high hopes.
“We expect to go out there and compete every day,” Hernandez said. “We won't be happy if we don't make the playoffs.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport LB gets WVU offer
- Shady Side Academy football prepares for upcoming season
- Fox Chapel football putting in preseason work
- Franklin Regional, Norwin, Penn-Trafford compete at annual WCCA 7-on-7 tournament
- Plum football coach impressed by effort in summer sessions
- Valley hires football coach Colosimo as athletic director
- Militzer filled with enthusiasm