Playoff experience valuable to returning West Beaver players
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Western Beaver coach Matt Gray believes postseason experience helps teams in future seasons.
If that's true, the Golden Beavers' back-to-back WPIAL playoff appearances should come in handy this fall.
“It's always nice when you do kind of well for your young guys because it gives them a little bit of extra experience,” Gray said. “They've dealt with it. We're in a really tough conference, and I think last year helps us build for this year.”
The Golden Beavers finished third in the Big 7 Conference before falling to Brentwood, 20-12, in the first round of the playoffs last season.
Two of the top playmakers — Eric Blinn and Eastern Michigan signee Dustin Creel — are gone from that team, but Gray has faith that returning players such as Zach Perry, Billy Drear and Hunter Roknich can pick up the slack.
Western Beaver had a young team overall in 2011, a big reason why Gray believes the playoff experience was so important.
“(The players) know what you're talking about,” Gray said. “If you've never been to the playoffs, they don't understand. It only comes when you experience it — the intensity picks up, everything picks up. If you like that and you like that experience, you want to feel it again, you want to do it again.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Pleasant eliminates Southmoreland, earns home playoff game
- Penn-Trafford remains unbeaten, shuts out Norwin
- Franklin Regional downs Gateway, wraps up 2nd place in Greater Allegheny Conference
- Jeannette rolls past rival Greensburg Central Catholic
- North Allegheny’s defense shuts down North Hills, 31-7
- Homer-Center battles back from deficit to top Ligonier Valley, 19-14
- Frazier wards off California, 34-12
- Aliquippa blasts Beaver Falls to complete another perfect regular season
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top Week 9 matchups
- Statewide HSFB notebook: Scranton RB to miss rest of season with injury
- Brashear upsets defending champ USO in City semifinals