Beth-Center to defend Tri-County South title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Beth-Center football coach Ed Woods isn't a fan of what the WPIAL football committee did to the Tri-County South Conference.
By moving California and Monessen to the Black Hills Conference and replacing them with Avella and Bentworth, Beth-Center lost two of its rivals and most competitive games.
Avella (0-9) and Bentworth (1-8) were a combined 1-17 last season, while California (7-3) and Monessen (6-4) were each playoff teams.
Beth-Center went 8-0 and rolled to a conference title last year. The Bulldogs' closest conference game a year ago was a 33-21 victory against Frazier in Week 1.
Woods must replace numerous three-year starters from that squad, including quarterback Sal Faieta, wide receiver DeShan Brown and running back Jake Sofran.
“They were a lot of our offense,” Woods said. “We have a lot of question marks. We were fortunate that a lot of our games were blowouts and a lot of players saw varsity action. Our younger players have a lot of experience.”
Geno Faieta is expected to take over for his brother at quarterback, speedster Cody Durant and Matt Riggle will share running duties, and C.J. Novak has good quickness and good hands as another skill player.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Officials identify man, woman killed in apparent Oakland murder-suicide
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Kennametal plans plant closings, job cuts in fallout from oil and gas decline
- Fayette coroner’s office at scene of truck-car crash on Route 51
- LCB, Duquesne University police recover rare bourbon in illegal sale
- Rossi: In Super city, everything but football matters
- Beloved North Side gardener gets new truck, paid for by her neighbors
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Consol Energy posts $74M profit in fourth quarter
- District college notes: Guy vaults to freshman record at Virginia
- Driver leaps from sliding truck just before it topples down hillside in Fawn