New faces, new places at Frazier
TribLIVE Sports Videos
As a sophomore tight end last season, Charlie Manack was on the receiving end of seven touchdown passes from quarterback Rock Vargo.
Vargo — and his 1,765 passing yards and 22 touchdown passes — graduated, and Manack will be switching positions, stepping under center for Frazier.
“Charles has great leadership abilities,” coach Michael Steeber said. “He has played some quarterback in the past, but it will be tough to move him because he was our best tight end. Hopefully, what we lose at tight end we will gain at quarterback.”
Manack is one of several returning players who either started or saw significant playing time last season. That group also includes Jaime Fell (WR/CB), Justin Kulwicki (OL), Steven Prescott (OL/DL), Chase Bartocci (RB/LB), Zachary Mastowski (FB/LB) and Joe Hela (OL/DL). Fell will be counted on to pick up where he left off last season. He was second on the team with 32 catches for 589 yards, and he hauled in 10 touchdowns.
“We'll definitely be turning to Jaime for some leadership,” Steeber said.
Bartocci and Mastowski had their share of carries last season, as Frazier employed a running-back-by-committee approach.
“They're both downhill guys and good-sized kids,” Steeber said. “They give everything they have on every snap.”
Also chipping in for the offense will be senior Blake Herron. Defensively, Frazier has experience at linebacker and up front.
“The guys are familiar with what we're doing defensively, and they're definitely growing in their positions,” Steeber said. “We have guys who have seen action for a few years in a row, and we're still looking to fill positions on both sides of the ball.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Valley hires football coach Colosimo as athletic director
- Heinauer sees benefits for Mars from 7-on-7 scrimmages
- Steel Valley players benefit from trip to NFL 7 on 7 event
- Fox Chapel football putting in preseason work
- Franklin Regional, Norwin, Penn-Trafford compete at annual WCCA 7-on-7 tournament
- Shady Side Academy football prepares for upcoming season
- Latrobe freshman selected to USA Football event
- Southmoreland gridders busy preparing for 2014 season
- Former Butler, PSU LB sharing insights with young players