First-year Imani Christian to rely on skill players' speed
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Imani Christian has WPIAL membership, a full schedule in the Black Hills Conference and a group of talented skill players that won four seven-on-seven competitions this summer.
What the Saints don't have is much of a history.
“That's why I can't get too excited or put too high of expectations on us,” said Imani coach Harvey Smith, whose team played an exhibition schedule last fall. “We played against teams that weren't in the WPIAL. Now, we're in the SEC of Class A football. It will be a tough introduction for us, I'm sure.”
Imani is led by one of the best cover corners around in 5-foot-8 senior Brendan Edwards, has a strong-armed quarterback in Khari Hicks and speed at running back with Sean Williams and receiver with Edwards, Eric Scott and Michael Wright.
The development of 6-7, 300-pound sophomore tackle Brannon Murphy and 6-4, 225-pound freshman linebacker Keith Wells will be key to the line play.
“I think we'll be extremely competitive,” said Smith, whose team is on WPIAL probation and ineligible for the playoffs the next two seasons. “Our issue is not being familiar, is not being on field and playing against WPIAL teams. We have some big kids up front but they're all freshmen and sophomores. But we can throw the ball around with the best of them.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Heavyweights West Allegheny, Central Valley meet in test for Parkway
- Daily News Q&A: Lamont Wade, Clairton
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top Week 9 matchups
- Statewide HSFB notebook: Scranton RB to miss rest of season with injury
- Valley News Dispatch Q&A: Springdale’s Austin Kline
- Birdie sad to see rivalry go
- Guido: Kittanning-Ford City rivalry packed with memories
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- Ford City, Kittanning matchup to be part of SI.com’s ‘Underdogs’
- Leader Times notebook: Tickets going fast for FC-Kittanning series finale
- Apollo-Ridge offense earns rest period against Deer Lakes