Geibel football forfeits 1st 2 games
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Faced with several injuries suffered during Saturday's scrimmage against Wilkinsburg, the Geibel football team made the decision to forfeit its first two games of the season.
The Gators will not take the field Friday at Frazier, and they will forfeit their first home game against Beth-Center, which was scheduled for Sept. 8.
Geibel currently has a roster comprised of just 13 players (the minimum amount required by the WPIAL). The injuries forced Geibel below the minimum, prompting the decision to forfeit the first two games.
“After talking to Mr. O'Malley (Tim O'Malley, the executive director of the WPIAL), we were told we would not have to forfeit the season because we expect our injured players to return shortly,” Geibel athletic director Shawn Holup said. “We were allowed to play it week by week. We can return to play on Sept. 15 (at home against Vincentian Academy). This will allow us to finish the season, and with a young team, still be eligible to play next year. Our school administration thought this would be best.”
Geibel first-year coach Sean Benjamin met with his players to discuss the situation Tuesday afternoon.
“It's definitely disappointing,” Benjamin said. “We were looking forward to our first game against Frazier, but with these circumstances, we just have to do the right thing.”
— Jason Black
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Central Catholic’s Joseph commits to PSU
- Monessen’s Rullo tabbed Player of Week
- Aliquippa routs New Brighton in battle of Midwestern unbeatens
- Jeannette wins cruises past Springdale to set up showdown with Clairton
- Clairton routs Riverview, 72-0, despite ejections
- ‘Miracle’ Highlands-Apollo Ridge game leaves lasting impression
- Winning takes center stage for Quaker Valley football
- Highlands wins thriller over Apollo-Ridge
- Karns City rolls past Moniteau
- West Mifflin bests Belle Vernon in crucial Big 9 showdown
- Hampton pulls away from Knoch for 5-0 start