Geibel football forfeits 1st 2 games
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Faced with several injuries suffered during Saturday's scrimmage against Wilkinsburg, the Geibel football team made the decision to forfeit its first two games of the season.
The Gators will not take the field Friday at Frazier, and they will forfeit their first home game against Beth-Center, which was scheduled for Sept. 8.
Geibel currently has a roster comprised of just 13 players (the minimum amount required by the WPIAL). The injuries forced Geibel below the minimum, prompting the decision to forfeit the first two games.
“After talking to Mr. O'Malley (Tim O'Malley, the executive director of the WPIAL), we were told we would not have to forfeit the season because we expect our injured players to return shortly,” Geibel athletic director Shawn Holup said. “We were allowed to play it week by week. We can return to play on Sept. 15 (at home against Vincentian Academy). This will allow us to finish the season, and with a young team, still be eligible to play next year. Our school administration thought this would be best.”
Geibel first-year coach Sean Benjamin met with his players to discuss the situation Tuesday afternoon.
“It's definitely disappointing,” Benjamin said. “We were looking forward to our first game against Frazier, but with these circumstances, we just have to do the right thing.”
— Jason Black
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ringgold rolls over West Mifflin
- Gateway edges Knoch after deflected pass goes for TD
- TJ roll to 4th straight win, rout Elizabeth Forward
- Clairton allows 2 scores but still sprints past Springdale
- West Greene outlasts Serra Catholic in 4 overtimes
- High school roundup: No. 9 North Allegheny takes down Upper St. Clair
- No. 5 Highlands uses turnovers to beat No. 7 Kittanning
- BVA falls to Hollidaysburg in OT
- Charleroi suffers a ‘Devil’ of a time in Burgettstown
- Patterson throws five TD passes in Frazier romp
- No. 8 Greensburg Central Catholic outlasts Riverview