High School Notebook: Central Catholic looking for home venue
TribLIVE Sports Videos
If your football stadium is vacant the last week of this month, Central Catholic might be interested in visiting.
The Vikings had planned to play their Sept. 27 home game against Seneca Valley at Highmark Stadium, the 3,500-seat soccer facility being built near Station Square.
But stadium construction will not be completed in time, said Central Catholic athletic director Chuck Crummie. The school's alternate stadium, Chartiers Valley, also will not be available that night, leaving Crummie to look elsewhere.
The Vikings would prefer to maintain the Thursday night date, allowing the game to be televised by Root Sports. But it's possible that Friday would prove more doable, Crummie said, nixing the TV coverage.
“I'll get on the horn and start begging, as I always do,” he said with a laugh.
Central Catholic has grown accustomed to a vagabond schedule, including a Sept. 14 home game at Fox Chapel against Canon-McMillan.
The Vikings had scheduled three games this season at Highmark Stadium, but it's unlikely that any will be played, Crummie said. Games against Pine-Richland (Oct. 5) and Altoona (Oct. 19) might be moved to Woodland Hills' Wolvarena, a stadium Central Catholic has borrowed before.
Even if Central Catholic doesn't use the South Side stadium this year, Crummie hopes the new venue can be used frequently in future seasons. The football program uses Carnegie Mellon's field when available, a relationship Crummie hopes to continue.
Friday's game between McKeesport and Woodland Hills was among 67 matchups chosen nationwide as part of the Great American Rivalry Series, presented by the U.S. Marine Corps. The winning team will receive a trophy.
Montour senior Devin Wilson's list of Division I offers has grown to nearly a dozen. The two-sport star said Wednesday on TribLive Radio that Duquesne, Akron, N.C. State, Ohio and Temple have offers football scholarships. He has basketball offers from Robert Morris, Akron, Drexel, Hofstra, Rider and St. Bonaventure.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Late 98-yard pick 6 seals Norwin’s shutout win over Latrobe
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- Frazier finds its offense in win over Avella
- QB leads Kittanning to season-opening victory over Deer Lakes
- Pevarnik’s scoring binge leads GCC to 15-12 victory over Monessen