Northgate pounds West Shamokin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Northgate quarterback Cody Walter needed just one play to remind West Shamokin of his talents Friday.
Walter rolled out and threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Georgie Floyd in the Flames' first play from scrimmage during a 47-12 home win that improved Northgate to 2-0 in Eastern Conference play. He was involved with five touchdowns, four of which he scored himself.
“Our whole plan was to strike quick,” said Northgate coach T.J. Wiley. “We wanted to come out and make a statement early. We were able to do that on our first offensive play, and that set our offensive game plan in motion.”
Less than five minutes after the first touchdown, Walter returned a West Shamokin punt 68 yards for his third return touchdown in two weeks. Northgate went ahead, 15-0.
Walter finished with 316 all-purpose yards, including 148 rushing on 12 carries. He completed his two pass attempts for 81 yards.
West Shamokin's night got worse when quarterback Alex Lasslo exited with an injury in the second quarter. The situation only added to a night of frustration for Wolves coach Josh Gilliland.
“We shouldn't have lost”, said Gilliland.
“They weren't 47-12 better than us, but we make too many stupid mistakes.”
Jonathan Cyprowski is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- Clairton wins 11th WPIAL football championship
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- WPIAL Class A notebook: Clairton climbs all-time title list
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- Karns City uses bruising running game to gain comeback win over Chestnut Ridge
- WPIAL Class AA notebook: South Fayette’s Brumbaugh closes in on state passing record