Northgate pounds West Shamokin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Northgate quarterback Cody Walter needed just one play to remind West Shamokin of his talents Friday.
Walter rolled out and threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Georgie Floyd in the Flames' first play from scrimmage during a 47-12 home win that improved Northgate to 2-0 in Eastern Conference play. He was involved with five touchdowns, four of which he scored himself.
“Our whole plan was to strike quick,” said Northgate coach T.J. Wiley. “We wanted to come out and make a statement early. We were able to do that on our first offensive play, and that set our offensive game plan in motion.”
Less than five minutes after the first touchdown, Walter returned a West Shamokin punt 68 yards for his third return touchdown in two weeks. Northgate went ahead, 15-0.
Walter finished with 316 all-purpose yards, including 148 rushing on 12 carries. He completed his two pass attempts for 81 yards.
West Shamokin's night got worse when quarterback Alex Lasslo exited with an injury in the second quarter. The situation only added to a night of frustration for Wolves coach Josh Gilliland.
“We shouldn't have lost”, said Gilliland.
“They weren't 47-12 better than us, but we make too many stupid mistakes.”
Jonathan Cyprowski is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Pair of title games to be on tape delay Saturday
- South Fayette, Aliquippa form unique traditions for Thanksgiving Day
- Strong running game has propelled Thomas Jefferson into WPIAL title game
- Seneca Valley football team hopes to improve in offseason
- Jeannette two-way star Sanders has Jayhawks back at Heinz Field
- PIAA Class AA first-round preview: Karns City vs. Bedford
- Jeannette junior Swinton says ‘football is my life’
- High school notebook: New classes put football finalists on the move next season
- Gorman: Look out for unsung hero
- HS highlight reel: Winter season set to tip off Dec. 4
- Frazier football well represented in all-conference honors