West Mifflin rips Uniontown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin's wheels keep on turning.
The Titans, ranked No. 8 in Class AAA by Trib Total Media, continued to roll through the early part of their season by beating Uniontown, 41-7, in a Big 9 conference game Friday night.
Junior running back Jimmy Wheeler followed last week's 342-yard performance with another dominate start.
Wheeler rushed for 201 yards and four touchdowns — all in the first half.
“He's very fun to watch for the fans,” West Mifflin coach Ray Braszo said. “He runs hard.”
Wheeler came up hobbling after a 5-yard touchdown run in the second quarter and did not return.
“(Wheeler) got a little bruise, and he'll be OK,” Braszo said.
“He had that before, so he must have bumped it again.”
Braszo said Wheeler was done for the night by that point anyway.
“We were at least trying to get our guys a half of work,” he said. “We're going to need them down the road.”
The Titan defense was equally impressive. West Mifflin held Uniontown (1-2, 1-2) to 49 yards in the first half.
The Red Raiders struggled early and often, burning three timeouts within the first eight minutes of the game.
Uniontown showed some life in the third quarter, when Xavier Ellis connected with Bru Martin on an 11 yard touchdown pass.
“I don't think we have any quitters here,” said Uniontown coach John Fortunga. “They had their heads down a little bit at halftime, but they got their heads back up and did a better job in the second half. They didn't quit. That's the big thing.”
Ray Judy is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Central Catholic’s Joseph commits to PSU
- Monessen’s Rullo tabbed Player of Week
- Aliquippa routs New Brighton in battle of Midwestern unbeatens
- Winning takes center stage for Quaker Valley football
- West Mifflin bests Belle Vernon in crucial Big 9 showdown
- Clairton routs Riverview, 72-0, despite ejections
- ‘Miracle’ Highlands-Apollo Ridge game leaves lasting impression
- Highlands wins thriller over Apollo-Ridge
- Hampton pulls away from Knoch for 5-0 start
- Schoolboy pick of week: W. Mifflin
- Fox Chapel downs Canon-McMillan