Road to 60: Clairton the bully of Black Hills
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Up next: Fort Cherry (2-2), 7:30 p.m., Friday
Winning streaks: Clairton 51, Central Bucks West 59
Clairton is back to being the bully of the Black Hills Conference, averaging 52 points the past three games.
The 52-7 victory at previously undefeated Monessen last Thursday night marked the 19th time in its 51-game winning streak that Clairton scored 50 points or more in a game.
Overshadowed in the WPIAL record-setting streak is Clairton's defensive dominance. The Bears have held opponents to single digits 45 times, with 27 shutouts.
The defense has not only been oppressive but opportunistic. Devonte Harvey's fumble recovery at the Monessen 15 set up one touchdown, and Tyus Booker scored after recovering a bad snap at the 7-yard line.
Clairton is giving new meaning to Bad News Bears.
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McKeesport’s Hudson sets career high in rout of Connellsville
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley
- Mars RB Schultheis could be out for season
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg
- Team effort pushes Penn-Trafford past Kiski Area
- Tipton accounts for 4 TDs in Apollo-Ridge’s 41-21 victory over West Shamokin
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’