Road to 60: Clairton the bully of Black Hills
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Up next: Fort Cherry (2-2), 7:30 p.m., Friday
Winning streaks: Clairton 51, Central Bucks West 59
Clairton is back to being the bully of the Black Hills Conference, averaging 52 points the past three games.
The 52-7 victory at previously undefeated Monessen last Thursday night marked the 19th time in its 51-game winning streak that Clairton scored 50 points or more in a game.
Overshadowed in the WPIAL record-setting streak is Clairton's defensive dominance. The Bears have held opponents to single digits 45 times, with 27 shutouts.
The defense has not only been oppressive but opportunistic. Devonte Harvey's fumble recovery at the Monessen 15 set up one touchdown, and Tyus Booker scored after recovering a bad snap at the 7-yard line.
Clairton is giving new meaning to Bad News Bears.
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Schoolboy pick of week: BV Area
- City rivals Allderdice, Brashear seeking elusive title
- Through the years: Highlands routed Franklin Regional to clinch conference title
- VND High school football notebook: Local flavor enhances Penn Hills, other playoff teams
- Gorman: Billy Holt’s big moment for Albert Gallatin
- Brentwood takes 4-game winning streak into WPIAL playoffs
- McKeesport preparing for banged-up Mt. Lebanon in 1st round
- Breaking down the WPIAL football playoffs
- Thomas Jefferson football team enters WPIAL Class AAA playoffs as No. 2 seed
- Valley News Dispatch WPIAL football notebook: Plum draws rival Penn Hills in 1st round
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top WPIAL first-round matchups