Road to 60: Clairton the bully of Black Hills
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Up next: Fort Cherry (2-2), 7:30 p.m., Friday
Winning streaks: Clairton 51, Central Bucks West 59
Clairton is back to being the bully of the Black Hills Conference, averaging 52 points the past three games.
The 52-7 victory at previously undefeated Monessen last Thursday night marked the 19th time in its 51-game winning streak that Clairton scored 50 points or more in a game.
Overshadowed in the WPIAL record-setting streak is Clairton's defensive dominance. The Bears have held opponents to single digits 45 times, with 27 shutouts.
The defense has not only been oppressive but opportunistic. Devonte Harvey's fumble recovery at the Monessen 15 set up one touchdown, and Tyus Booker scored after recovering a bad snap at the 7-yard line.
Clairton is giving new meaning to Bad News Bears.
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Monessen, Wilkinsburg await WPIAL ruling
- Decision on football fracas expected today
- Tickets aplenty for Ringgold-BVA game
- Gators hope to shake off tough loss to Tigers
- Late touchdowns seal Southmoreland’s fate against Derry
- Southmoreland plays Burgettstown in big game
- Southmoreland varsity gridders helping midget football teams
- Plum hopes to get back on track against Falcons
- Kiski Area avenges last year’s 65-0 loss with upset of Plum
- Quaker Valley football coach emphasizes need to close out games
- High school football notebook: Surgery sidelines North Hills lineman for season