McKeesport rallies past Altoona on late TD
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ALTOONA — Ed Stockett's 30-yard touchdown pass to Marqua Perdue with 2:29 left lifted McKeesport to an 18-14 win over Altoona in a WPIAL Quad East game Friday night at Mansion Park.
Now 2-3 overall, McKeesport trailed 14-0 before rallying to pull out the win. Altoona suffered its fourth straight loss and fell to 1-4.
“We made one more play than they did,” McKeesport coach Jim Ward said.
“We seemed to be in the red zone countless times and came away with no points, but hat's off to Altoona, because they kept us out of the end zone for the most part.”
Altoona scored with less than three minutes gone in the game when Brennan Luciano tossed an 11-yard TD pass to Colby Fink. Luciano scored on a 1-yard quarterback sneak to give the Mountain Lions a 14-0 lead with 25 seconds left in the half.
However, McKeesport's Devon Anderson returned the ensuing kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown and that turned out to be a big momentum swing.
“That was huge,” Ward said. “It really sparked us, and we were able to establish some things in the second half and keep them off the scoreboard.”
Stockett and Jamie Grayson teamed up for a 30-yard scoring strike late in the third quarter to pull the Tigers within 14-12. The Stockett-Perdue combo came up with the game-winner after the running of fullback Hodari Christian moved the ball into Altoona territory.
Jim Lane is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gorman: So much for sportsmanship
- Shady Side Academy looks to rebound after loss to Apollo-Ridge
- HS highlight reel: Boys golf teams to play for finals berth
- Safety, late TD not enough for Fox Chapel
- Keystone Oaks football controls its destiny entering final weeks
- Pine-Richland stays comfortable at the top
- Bentworth’s Tush Player of the Week
- Southmoreland varsity gridders helping midget football teams
- After opening 5-0, Clairton, Jeannette set to square off for conference supremacy
- After another slow start, Greensburg Central Catholic defeats Leechburg
- High school roundup: No. 3 Pine-Richland holds off Seneca Valley