Bishop Canevin football suffers first loss
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite a valiant comeback effort, the Bishop Canevin football team suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of the Monessen Greyhounds, 28-21.
Momentum went against the Crusaders starting with the opening kickoff. Bishop Canevin failed on an onside kick attempt, giving Monessen a short field. Greyhounds quarterback Chavas Rawlins — who has committed to play at West Virginia — connected with Javon Brown for a 34-yard touchdown strike. The Crusaders fumbled on their next possession, giving the Greyhounds another short field. Rawlins found Clintell Gillaspie for a 23-yard touchdown pass.
The Crusaders answered when quarterback Nico DiPaolo connected with Matt DeCello for a 56-yard touchdown strike and Gionvanni DeMarzo ran the conversion in to cut the deficit to 14-8. But Monessen scored again before the end of the first quarter as Rawlins found Gillaspie again for a touchdown, this time for 22 yards.
The Crusaders mounted a comeback after halftime as DiPaolo found Mike Tambellini for a 22-yard touchdown reception, but the extra point was missed, bringing the score to 21-14.
Canevin scored again in the third quarter, this time on a 57-yard bomb from DiPaolo to Tyler Reddy to tie the score at 21.
The Greyhounds scored midway through the fourth quarter on a 11-yard touchdown run by Gillaspie. The Crusaders had one more shot in the final minutes of the game, but a bad snap over the head of DiPaolo doomed any comeback hope for the Crusaders.
“I thought we had the momentum in the second quarter,” Bishop Canevin coach Bob Jacoby said. “We just couldn't score. We really thought at halftime we had some momentum and we could hold them scoreless in the second half.”
The loss put the Crusaders at 4-1 in the Black Hills Conference in a three-way tie for second with Monessen and Imani Christian.
Undefeated Clairton leads the conference.
The Crusaders will look to rebound against Fort Cherry on the road Friday. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.
Nathan Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-388-5813.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freshman Jaden Datz will start at cornerback for Southmoreland
- Daily News roundup: South Allegheny bounces Sto-Rox
- Three of a kind: Football coaches who took different routes
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Quaker Valley football team looks to overcome injuries
- Tipton accounts for 4 TDs in Apollo-Ridge’s 41-21 victory over West Shamokin
- Southmoreland thrills home crowd with 25-24 victory over Charleroi
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- Pevarnik’s scoring binge leads GCC to 15-12 victory over Monessen
- McKeesport’s Hudson sets career high in rout of Connellsville
- Frazier finds its offense in win over Avella