H.S. Picks deals with upsets
TribLIVE Sports Videos
H.S. Picks, the Tribune-Review High School football prognosticator, is in a merry mood.
That's because he continues to correctly pick the winners of weekly high school football games.
Picks went 31-5 (.681) and improved his record to 141-29 (.829) for the season.
He was beaten by a couple Week 5 surprise upsets — Summit Academy over Ford City, Southmoreland over Waynesburg, Jefferson-Morgan over Frazier, Monessen over Bishop Canevin and Apollo-Ridge over Avonworth.
Oh well, upsets happen.
Let's look at this week's key games:
Mt. Pleasant at Jeannette
For the second consecutive week, Jeannette faces an undefeated opponent. Last week, a blocked punt return by Washington in the final 30 seconds prevented this week's game from likely being for the Interstate Conference title. Both teams have explosive offenses. This game will be determined by which team plays better defense.
Franklin Regional at Knoch
Franklin Regional coach Greg Botta didn't have to remind his team of this week's opponent. This game has been circled by the Panthers since the schedule was released by the WPIAL last winter. Knoch defeated Franklin Regional in the WPIAL Class AAA semifinals last year on a last-second field goal. The Knights won't have any last-second heroics this time.
Franklin Regional, 27-14
Blairsville at Penns Manor
Two talented quarterbacks — Blairsville's Scott Thompson and Penn Manor's Danny Ferens — will be matching skills in this District 6 Heritage Conference battle. Ferens, a senior, isn't about to let the sophomore steal his thunder.
Penns Manor, 34-22
Picks also likes: AVELLA 21, Frazier 13; Bentworth 22, MAPLETOWN 14; Beth-Center 37, JEFFERSON-MORGAN 14; BURRELL 22, Freeport 14; Carmichaels 37, GEIBEL 6; GREENSBURG CENTRAL CATHOLIC 34, Southmoreland 14; Greensburg Salem 28, INDIANA 24; Hampton 28, HOLLIDAYSBURG 23; Hempfield 20, ALTOONA 14; HIGHLANDS 19, Derry 17; HOMER-CENTER 42, United 6; IMANI CHRISTIAN 27, California 14; KISKI AREA 27, Norwin 17; KITTANNING 28, Ford City 15; LIGONIER VALLEY 36, Saltsburg 6; Marion Center 24, PURCHASE LINE 14; MARS 44, Uniontown 13; McKEESPORT 22, Latrobe 14; Monessen 44, SERRA CATHOLIC 6; North Allegheny 27, GATEWAY 21; NORTHERN CAMBRIA 27, Berlin-Brothersvalley 17; Northgate 27, LEECHBURG 10; Penn-Trafford 27, CONNELLSVILLE 24; Ringgold 44, ALBERT GALLATIN 14; Springdale 24, APOLLO-RIDGE 21; THOMAS JEFFERSON 56, Laurel Highlands 14; TRINITY 27, Belle Vernon 14; WASHINGTON 44, Brownsville 7; WAYNESBURG 22, Charleroi 20; WEST GREENE 23, Vincentian 14; WEST MIFFLIN 42, Elizabeth Forward 24; YOUGH 27, Valley 14.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frazier flexes defensive muscles in shutout of Beth-Center
- South Fayette extends winning streak in dominating fashion
- Valley relies on run game to avenge last year’s loss to West Shamokin
- Mt. Lebanon still unbeaten after 98-yard INT return sparks rally vs. Bethel Park
- Daily News roundup: Thomas Jefferson routs Albert Gallatin
- Clairton uses big second half, key turnover to pull away from Jeannette
- Belle Vernon tops Ringgold in battle of unbeatens
- High school roundup: No. 3 Pine-Richland holds off Seneca Valley
- Elizabeth Forward wins seesaw battle over Yough
- West Mifflin limits chances for Laurel Highlands, wins 28-17
- Freeport takes chances, cashes in during shutout of Highlands