High school football notebook: Neshannock undefeated under 1st-year coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
There were 26 first-year coaches this season and only Neshannock's Fred Mozzocio remains undefeated.
The Lancers (5-0, 5-0), who are chasing their first playoff berth since 2004, travel to Rochester on Friday night to play the unbeaten Rams (5-0, 4-0). The matchup should help decide the Class A Big Seven champion.
Since Neshannock entered the conference in 2008, this series has been one-sided. Rochester won, 35-0, 42-0 and 27-0, in consecutive years before last season's 38-7 victory.
Eastern York's Alex Cooley set a PIAA record with 500 rushing yards in last week's Class AAA victory over Hanover, bettering a mark set by Harbor Creek's Stephen Blose (490) in 2005. Cooley had 26 carries and eight touchdowns in the 62-37 victory. Third on the PIAA single-game record list is Connellsville's Marcus Furman, who had 455 yards in 2000.
Canon-McMillan's Jules Gdovic threw one touchdown and caught another Friday, placing him among exclusive company in the WPIAL. The junior joins a small group that has at least one touchdown rushing, passing and receiving.
East Allegheny's Shawn Adair, Elizabeth Forward's JaQuan Davidson and Northgate's Cody Walter also have accomplished the feat. Davidson, a senior quarterback, has multiple scores each way, having thrown two, caught two and rushed for eight.
The City League's six teams completed the last of their nonleague games last week, and the results weren't favorable.
Combined they were 2-14 against opponents from outside District 8. With the City League having two fewer schools than last season, each team had to schedule three such games.
The two victories were by Allderdice (21-7 over Linsley School) and Perry (32-13 over Pius X).
Made for TV
Friday night's North Allegheny-Gateway game will be televised Saturday on PCN. The matchup of the WPIAL's top Class AAAA teams will be shown at 9 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Charleroi-Cal only 10th game in town
- HS highlight reel: Hearings scheduled before WPIAL board
- Latrobe boys soccer team competes in WPIAL playoffs for 1st time in 22 years
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- Berry’s memorable night lifts Ringgold to 7th straight win
- South Park uses 90-second, 28-point surge to get past Steel Valley
- Through the years: Late TD snapped Springdale’s 31-game skid
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- West Shamokin spoils Ford City festivities
- Clairton gets its revenge against Monessen