The Birdie turns down baseball gig
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Breaking news: The Birdie almost became “The Parrot.”
This week's big Root Sports televised game between Franklin Regional and Knoch on Thursday night got the A-K's pleasant football pheasant thinking about his near-career change, which had been a secret.
“Root shows enough of that other bird, that Prima donna Pirate Parrot,” The Birdie said. “Well, brace yourself, folks. That almost was me. Those fan-duping Pirates called me up a few years ago and asked if I'd be interested in the gig.
“I think the guy's name was Neal. Said I didn't need to wear the costume, he'd pay me in huge wads of bubble gum and I'd get discounts on playoff tickets. I told him to take a hike.”
Turns out, The Birdie has a clause in his contract that prohibits him from working any jobs that aren't football-related.
“Well, that includes replacement referee, too,” he said. “Although a ref once grabbed me out of the press box and used me as a penalty flag.”
The Birdie is glad baseball season in Pittsburgh finally is over.
“Face it my friends, this is a football town,” he said. “It's reality. I mean, let's see, baseball has a goofy Parrot dancing on dugouts and acting like an idiot. Football has me. Sure, I had a bad week (8-5) but at least I was above .500. I can't figure some of our teams. It's like trying to unwrap a CD with some of you guys.”
The Birdie offers his Week 6 predictions.
Franklin Regional at Knoch
An exquisite rematch from last year's semifinals. Franklin Regional gets payback.
Franklin Regional, 22-14
Peters Township at Plum
Peters Township's line will hold its ground.
Peters Township, 21-7
Fox Chapel at North Hills
Fox Chapel would have a better chance at beating the Indians in soccer.
North Hills, 24-13
Norwin at Kiski Area
Kiski Area has more offensive weapons. and they'll shine.
Kiski Area, 22-16
Derry at Highlands
Hard-to-figure Highlands is primed to make it back-to-back wins.
Ford City at Kittanning
Classic rivalry game won't disappoint. Dust clears to reveal ...
Freeport at Burrell
Considered by some the A-K's game of the year. We'll see if Freeport shows up.
Valley at Yough
Valley has shown improvement but will have a tough time on the road.
Northgate at Leechburg
Northgate used to be a painless game; now the Flames are torching teams.
Shenango at Riverview
Riverview has a chance under the lights, but needs to finish drives.
Springdale at Apollo-Ridge
Apollo-Ridge has been waiting five years to get a rematch with the mighty Dynamos.
Deer Lakes at Summit Academy
Summit Academy should be able to break plays on the Lancers' defense.
Summit Academy, 25-12
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley
- Penn Hills takes advantage of turnovers, routs Upper St. Clair
- Jackson brothers show the way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut
- Pevarnik’s scoring binge leads GCC to 15-12 victory over Monessen
- Valley edges emotional Burrell team on OT field goal
- Team effort pushes Penn-Trafford past Kiski Area
- Late 98-yard pick 6 seals Norwin’s shutout win over Latrobe
- QB leads Kittanning to season-opening victory over Deer Lakes
- Quick start fuels Shady Side Academy to opening win
- Southmoreland thrills home crowd with 25-24 victory over Charleroi