Fox Chapel throttles Shaler for first win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel, off to an 0-4 start, took out its frustrations on an overmatched Shaler Titans squad on Friday.
The Foxes came out fast behind a relentless ground game that featured three 100-yard rushing performances and breezed to a 49-14 win.
Twin brothers Chad and Nigel Garnett each scored on long touchdown runs in the first quarter.
Chad rambled for a 34-yard score while Nigel scampered for a 51-yard scoring burst and the Foxes never looked back.
Chad would add a 5-yard touchdown run in the second quarter and Brandon Mitchell scored from six yards out as Coach Eric Ravotti's squad raced to a 28-7 halftime lead.
“The team's been working hard and they deserved this win,” Ravotti said. “The offensive line blocked better than they have all year.”
The ground game continued to jell in the second quarter with a different back taking center stage.
Carrington Vaughn ripped off touchdown runs of 2,2, and 7 yards and rushed for 105 yards, all in the second half.
Nigel Garnett ended up with 123 yards on nine carries while Chad finished with 101 yards on 10 carries.
The Foxes, 1-4 overall, will take a ride up McKnight Road on Friday to take on the 4-1 North Hills Indians.
North Hills edged Penn Hills 21-20 in overtime last week.
“We're hoping that the team gained some confidence against Shaler,” Ravotti said. “The games get tougher each week in this conference.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- South Allegheny tops winless Carlynton in brawl-marred game
- Charleroi wins wild, long affair
- Thomas Jefferson beats Franklin Regional, remains undefeated
- South Park uses 90-second, 28-point surge to get past Steel Valley
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- Pine-Richland football team looks to stun another Quad North rival
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top matchups for Week 8