Local roundup: Karns City wins on late FG
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Karns City junior Zach Moore will likely lock the Gremlins' 17-14 home win over Punxsutawney in his memory for as long as possible.
Moore, a fullback and the team's kicker, scored on a 57-yard run in the first quarter and then kicked a 32-yard field goal in the final minute to help Karns City (5-2, 3-0) claim sole possession of first place in the Keystone Shortway Athletic Conference's Large School division.
Senior Jamie Bush had an 8-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter for Punxsutawney (4-3, 2-1), and the teams were tied at 7-all at halftime.
The Chucks took a 14-7 lead in the third, but Karns City answered in the fourth with a touchdown pass from Tyler Kepple to Dakota Mohney.
Karns City will finish its KSAC Large School schedule when it meets second-place Brookville (5-2, 2-1) in two weeks.
Clarion 49, Redbank Valley 7 — Redbank Valley (0-7, 0-4) hung with Clarion (7-0, 4-0) for most of the first half and actually outgained the Bobcats in the first quarter.
But the Keystone Shortway Athletic Conference Small School division leader built a 14-0 lead by halftime and then pulled away in the third quarter.
Jake Dougherty threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Bam Bailey late in the fourth quarter for Redbank Valley's only score.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley
- McKeesport’s Hudson sets career high in rout of Connellsville
- Mars RB Schultheis could be out for season
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- WPIAL teams value hard-to-come-by nonconference games in Week 1
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- Valley edges emotional Burrell team on OT field goal
- Team effort pushes Penn-Trafford past Kiski Area
- Sophomore RB Coxon leads Plum to lopsided win