McKeesport clinches playoff berth
TribLIVE Sports Videos
McKeesport recovered from a sloppy first half to defeat Kiski Area, 20-6, in a Quad East game on senior night at Davis Field in Vandergrift.
The Tigers (5-3, 4-3), who have won four in a row, clinched a playoff berth with the victory.
“We found a way to persevere,” McKeesport coach Jim Ward said. “I thought we were physical and took control of the line of scrimmage. It took a little bit to get our offense going, and once we did we took control.”
Kiski led, 3-0, at halftime but could have been up by more.
The Cavaliers drove the ball to the McKeesport 18-yard line on their opening drive, but a costly personal foul and a sack forced Kiski Area to punt.
McKeesport then fumbled twice deep in its own territory, but Kiski Area could generate only three points off of those turnovers -- a 31-yard field goal by Dom Bonelli.
McKeesport responded in the second half as Hodari Christian ran 59 yards on the third play of the third quarter to give the Tigers a 7-3 lead.
Kiski Area quickly responded, as Joe Brungo took the ensuing kickoff 78 yards to set up a 27-yard Bonelli field goal.
But a 20-yard touchdown pass from Eddie Stockett to Marqua Perdue and a 3-yard touchdown run by Devin Anderson sealed the victory for Mckeesport.
“We're working hard,” said Kisk coach Dave Heavner. “I thought we fought real hard. It was 3-0 at halftime. We gave up a big play, and we respond to make it 7-6 with a field goal. It's a game from there.
“(McKeesport) executed, but I'm proud of my players. We have one football game on our schedule, and it's Latrobe.They're a tough football team. They're well coached. We need to go in there and win.”
Ray Judy is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Gorman: Barnstorming tour bigger than baseball
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- ‘Wax weed’ worries authorities
- Penguins take winger Sprong in 2nd round, add 3 more forwards in NHL Draft
- Airlines offer small conveniences to counter higher fees, less space